Raceways used in high rise decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robd58

First time poster. In the nine years I've been an electrician I've worked extensively in the high rise residential/commercial industries and have piped my fair share of "decks". Being from Chicago we primarily use emt in the above grade slabs and pvc or rigid/Imc below grade. Having never worked outside Chicago I was curious if that is typical for high rise decks or if other types of raceways were used, also I was wondering how much electrical contractors elsewhere use the slab to route their raceways or if the typically pull through the walls. Thanks!

JFletcher

First time poster. In the nine years I've been an electrician I've worked extensively in the high rise residential/commercial industries and have piped my fair share of "decks". Being from Chicago we primarily use emt in the above grade slabs and pvc or rigid/Imc below grade. Having never worked outside Chicago I was curious if that is typical for high rise decks or if other types of raceways were used, also I was wondering how much electrical contractors elsewhere use the slab to route their raceways or if the typically pull through the walls. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. It wasnt until four years ago that I was in a building taller than 8 floors... never built one. From the commercial construction Ive seen, new hotels 3-5 stories, it seems little is in the slab, only conduits that have to be by design (such as front desk kiosks). Few homes here are built on slabs, and there are incredibly few high rise residential buildings.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For apartments buildings we use PVC for the panel feeder, smurf tube for voice/data/CATV and MC in the pour for power and lighting such as floor boxes, ceiling lights and CO/smoke alarms.

peter d

There was a mini-series called "Building NYC" or something like that a while back. They featured some deck work in one of the episodes and they were using ENT/smurf tube. I thought that was surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.