Does Code require 110V connections to be made in a box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
We manufacture agricultural feeder mixer wagons, some of which are stationary and use electrical motors for operation. A co-worker is looking to attach a remote pendant and is asking if the connection NEEDS to be made in a box. To me common sense says not only yes, but cord grips also need to be employed so the connection is not pulled apart. Can someone point me to the appropriate area of the NEC code so I can "prove my point"? Also would local code be likely to need to be verified if this requirement is not in the NEC? We are in Central Kansas and I believe the unit will be installed in Texas.

Thank you

Jim Steinmeyer

mgookin

Hello Jim and welcome to the forums.

Your answer is correct but your basis is off by a little. The NEC does not regulate OEM wiring on machines. That's going to be found most likely in UL standards. There are plenty of OEM guys on here and I'm sure one will come along soon and give you a more precise answer than I have to offer.

And thanks for teaching a city slicker what a feeder mixer wagon is.

jumper

Hello Jim and welcome to the forums.

Your answer is correct but your basis is off by a little. The NEC does not regulate OEM wiring on machines. That's going to be found most likely in UL standards. There are plenty of OEM guys on here and I'm sure one will come along soon and give you a more precise answer than I have to offer.

:thumbsup:

Mgookin,
Thank you for the reply. I was just starting to dig into my NEC book so this will save me time and I will look towards UL.
Yes there are quite a few mixer wagon designs out there. We are actually also selling them to municipalities for composting as well.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Ditto on the previous replies.

However, compliance with UL or other NRTL standards apply only if you are getting the product listed.

That said, compliance with NEC requirements certainly would not hurt. In that regard, and generally speaking, 110V connections are required to be enclosed.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Ditto on the previous replies.

However, compliance with UL or other NRTL standards apply only if you are getting the product listed.

That said, compliance with NEC requirements certainly would not hurt. In that regard, and generally speaking, 110V connections are required to be enclosed.

I agree. I'm not sure what you are using for a connection (wirenuts, bolts and lugs, split-bolts, etc.). And I'm not sure what would protect the connection if it isn't in a box.

But personally, I probably wouldn't consider not putting the connection in a box. You want a safe reliable connection, and you don't want angry users. One standard way to make a connection safer and more reliable is to put it in an electrical box. And if you need cord grips, a box gives a quick easy attachment point.

mgookin

Even though UL compliance is not mandatory, it is a nationally accepted standard of best practice.

If he "does it like that because the UL standard said that's the best way to do it" his liabilities are diminished.

If he hacks something together and someone gets shocked by a connection which rips apart, he's toast.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Even though UL compliance is not mandatory, it is a nationally accepted standard of best practice.

If he "does it like that because the UL standard said that's the best way to do it" his liabilities are diminished.

If he hacks something together and someone gets shocked by a connection which rips apart, he's toast.
Fair point...

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
where does it say in the code that all connections have to be in an enclosure?

a plug and receptacle is a connection that is not inside a box.

service connections are often exposed.

UF splices are not in a box.

It is not unheard of for connections to be made in a utility room that are not in boxes.

IIRC, the rule is that connections have to be accessible, and can't be exposed to unqualified personnel.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

It is not unheard of for connections to be made in a utility room that are not in boxes.

IIRC, the rule is that connections have to be accessible, and can't be exposed to unqualified personnel.
Who said all connections have to be in an enclosure? I said what I said and I mean it. :D I used the term "generally speaking" to mean not all cases. Is that okay with you?

I said 110V connections are required to be enclosed. That's a bit different than "in an enclosure". Plug and receptacle connections are enclosed... but not in an enclosure. :p

mgookin

What I got from OP's post was they need to add a cord connected pendant to a huge industrial machine.
It seems someone at the factory wants to hack something together which may come apart while energized.
OP is looking for a spec that backs him saying the cord & connection have to be safe, withstand expected forces, etc.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
OP is looking for a spec that backs him saying the cord & connection have to be safe, withstand expected forces, etc.
Another part of the request involved citing NEC on those issues. Can we do that without über speculation?
:slaphead:

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

That was the direction I was going too. Why look through all the codes to see if a box is required - its hard to go wrong if you do put it in a box.

I don't think anyone said it had to be in a box, but I think a lot of people are suggesting it hard to go wrong by putting it in a box.

But we don't know what the alternative is, because the OP didn't say. Since its on a wagon, we know the splices won't be in a utility room, or buried underground. I'm picturing them just hanging off the side or bottom of the wagon, but that's probably worst case.

What I got from OP's post was they need to add a cord connected pendant to a huge industrial machine.
It seems someone at the factory wants to hack something together which may come apart while energized.

This is pretty much what I was looking to find. Personally I was surprised there was consideration of not enclosing the connections. However I have been here 6 months while he has been here 12 years. A little horse power behind my suggestion is what I was looking for.
My co-worker must have been on the edge about this because he readily agreed with my suggestion for a box and cord grip when I made it.

Status
Not open for further replies.