User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Small storage room panelboard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMmn View Post
    If the panel is behind the door, you'd have to!

edit--

Or does the person who first mentioned The Door mean that the panel is in a shallow closet, therefore is 'behind a door?'
    I don't remember seeing a closet door open in, I thought they all opened outwards.

I admit though, I could have totally misunderstood the OP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dkidd View Post
    I have frequently seen and required that the working space be labeled on the floor, stating "No Storage".
    I've seen those warning labels on the floor myself.

That is after I've move all of the trash cans, mop buckets, mops, brooms, vacuum cleaners, ETC.. out of the way.

JAP>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMmn View Post
    If the panel is behind the door, you'd have to!

edit--

Or does the person who first mentioned The Door mean that the panel is in a shallow closet, therefore is 'behind a door?'

I would think that any panel located in any room that had a door on it would be " behind the door" in one way or another.

JAP>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsparky52 View Post
    Plus it's very easy to just back away if needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    I would think that any panel located in any room that had a door on it would be " behind the door" in one way or another. JAP>
    >Pbbbbbbbbblt!<

I'm trying to figure out if if OldSparky was talking about a panel behind any old door, where you'd be blocking your escape route to work on the panel, or a door that put the panel in its own closet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There seems to be some confusion. So let me digress a moment and give my views on doors and panels.

Standing in a room, look at the exit door. You see a panel to its left. It's flush mounted. The door has hinges on its left side (i.e., near the panel), and it opens inward. With the door fully open, it blocks the panel. With the door halfway closed or even fully closed, you can get to the panel and you have working clearance. I am perfectly OK with this arrangement. Yes, my exit from the room is blocked by the closed door. But if you are talking about "large equipment," there must be a second exit. If you are talking about a common branch panelboard, it is enough that you have working clearance. The NEC rules do not require there to be an accommodation for exiting the room without passing close to the panel.

If you are concerned about walking too close to a sparking panel as you try to reach the door, then walk to the other side of the room, lay down, and take a nap until the sparking ends or someone comes to "rescue" you. OK, that part was a bit facetious. What I mean is that once you are no longer within the working space, you are safe. Nothing else matters.
    Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    then walk to the other side of the room, lay down, and take a nap until the sparking ends or someone comes to "rescue" you. OK, that part was a bit facetious. What I mean is that once you are no longer within the working space, you are safe. Nothing else matters.
    That's poor advice.

You wouldn't be safe.

In that scenario you'd probably burn to death in your sleep.

Jap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But you're correct.

If that did happen, nothing else would matter.

JAP>

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you would be safe. That is based in part on this not being a "large equipment" scenario. I believe the energy that could be released during a fault internal to the panel would have finished being released (i.e., due to an upstream OCPD actuation) even before you could step out of the working space. There won't be arcs and sparks filling up the room, so it would not be vital that you exit the room. You need only get far enough from the panel to be unaffected by the initial arcs and sparks. Standing on the other side of the room would give you all the distance you would need. If by chance you were close to the panel when the arcing began, then let us hope you had the appropriate protective gear.

I am not making allowances for emotion here. Yes, I would want to be somewhere else as soon as I could get there. I am talking about three things:

1. Something causes an event to begin.
    2. Something else causes the event to terminate.
    3. After that comes the investigations.

Your task is to remain alive between items 1 and 2. After item 2, the emergency is over, timing does not matter, and yes you could take a nap.
    Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    There won't be arcs and sparks filling up the room, so it would not be vital that you exit the room.

It's evident you've never witnessed first hand what a fault can do.

It's a hell of a lot more than just steps 1,2 and 3 as your describing.

JAP>