Always remember our actions can kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RICK NAPIER

In NJ public pools need an emergency shut off within sight, an annual electrical inspection and a bonding certification every 5 years and that is still not enough.

mgookin

In NJ public pools need an emergency shut off within sight, an annual electrical inspection and a bonding certification every 5 years and that is still not enough.

Interesting you say that. I was thinking shunt when I heard the maintenance man killed the power. He's the one who saved the day.

Curious: Are those regs you mention required for existing pools or new construction only?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Is that for all of the power in the pool area or just the power to the pool pump(s)?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Now regardless if it is actually this electricians fault or not you can bet their work there will be scrutinized by someone trying to pin the blame.

i've seen this personally, once.
obviously, a lot will depend on what happens to the fellow who was shocked.

there is a criminal, and a civil aspect to this. not much will happen on either
front until the outcome of the accident unfolds. right now, it'll be collection
of evidence, to determine the cause of the accident.

if the fellow doesn't survive, there will be a civil lawsuit, after the criminal process.
over twenty people were specifically named, and twenty john does, and
twenty jane does, in the case i'm personally familiar with. anyone who had
anything to do with the situation in the previous two years, including the
guy who skimmed the leaves off the pool got sued.

every one of them was sued for $2.5 million, each.

there's a reason a lot of electricians won't do service work on a pool.
it has some merit.

JFletcher

I noticed that the sign for the Aztec appears quite old - guessing the late 50s? Were pools of the day required to have equipotential planes, and everything metal bonded?

Sahib

Another pool shock, this one at a NJ hotel. Not much info yet but owner says it was worked on by an electrician three weeks ago.

Now regardless if it is actually this electricians fault or not you can bet their work there will be scrutinized by someone trying to pin the blame.

That is why you, guys, better work under a supervisor.:slaphead:

iwire

Staff member
:happyyes:

I have never did a 680 install past a disco and do not want to. Not my forte.

When I first got in the trade I was working for a one man shop that did a lot of pools.

Now, never and I have zero interest in learning them. The potential for hurting someone, perhaps a child bothers me.

peter d

Just recently we did some repair work on pool wiring that was a genuine nightmare. How anybody did not get electrocuted is a miracle. The pool was a total hack job, the homeowner installed 120 volt landscape lights wired with bell boxes and NM cable buried in the ground 6" and the lights themselves were within 6' from the edge of the pool, no GFCI's on any of the outdoor receptacles, it also had a wet niche light without a GFCI on it. :eek::eek: We replaced the subpanel in the pool house, ripped out the hack landscape lights and put GFCI breakers on everything including the pool motor and new salt generator.

Besoeker

Status
Not open for further replies.