LED cabinet lighting secondary wire type preference(from driver to fixture- low volt)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious what type wire you all prefer for these type installs. The main type fixtures we're seeing are the 12 or 24 volt puck style lights, and the LED tape. I am seeing the cabinet installers using everything from zip cord too phone wire, that are not inspected.
I have some 1000 ft rolls of 18/2 CMP/CL3P cable I was hoping to be able to utilize. It seems to be a stranded tinned copper conductor cable. I know it is a communication cable, but was hoping to utilize it for LED application.
Any input or thoughts on the matter appreciated- thanks

JFletcher

If you want to use up plenum rated 18/2, go for it. I prefer 20/2 as 18 is just a hair too large for many of the connectors designed for the LED pigtails. Virtually anything will work provided it's in-wall (CM) rated. Some speaker wire isn't, haven't noticed anything else that isnt.

Thank you for the response. That brings a good question to mind re: the connectors. I was thinking just small wire nuts; will have to research those you speak of.

JFletcher

Thank you for the response. That brings a good question to mind re: the connectors. I was thinking just small wire nuts; will have to research those you speak of.

We've tried a few different connectors; my old boss liked UR3 Scotchloks. I know those only accept up to 19ga wire... not sure they are really rated for any amount of current tho I dont see 2a burning them up. Tried small butt splices the last time; I should have crimped them onto the LED tails before I mounted the tape/connectors.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I have some 1000 ft rolls of 18/2 CMP/CL3P cable I was hoping to be able to utilize. It seems to be a stranded tinned copper conductor cable. I know it is a communication cable,

No, it's dual rated- CM (communications) as well as CL3 (class 3). So it's just fine. I like to stock plenum for these kinds of cable since it's pennies more. You can use it anywhere (except outdoors) and you never know when you will actually need plenum.

my old boss liked UR3 Scotchloks

Hmmm. Those are for solid wire as are most telecom insulation displacement connectors. Crimp butt or straight splices are the way to go. Blue wire nuts aren't much bigger. You could use the old telecom "beanies" that are popular with security guys as long as you strip and twist the conductors together before you slide them into the beanie and crimp it with the back end of your Klein's. Wire might be a little big for them though.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.