User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ceiling Paddle Fan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing I do after installing a fan is to make sure the blade bracket screws are tight into the motor, and lift the blade as I tighten them.

Second is to make sure the blades are in the same plane by slowly rotating the fan while sighting along a line to a fixed point behind the fan.

I think I've only had to balance two fans with the weight kit, and I've installed a lot of fans over the decades.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Needed to replace an outdoor fan on my porch last year and wanted to go cheap due to salt air environment, it also hung on a 4' stem. Well, I found a $100.00 model that had the look I was after but my wife on another isle found a $51.00 model so I said what the heck and went home with it. I cut a piece of 3/4 EMT to make a stem and hung it, figured it would swing crazy, turned it on and when I was moving the ladder I crammed it into the blades, oooops. Finally got out of the way and this fan is the most stable fan I have ever hung, almost no movement at all.

So if you have a swinging fan just stick a ladder into the blades, it probably doesn't work on a high dollar fan though.

Roger

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roger, I bought a real cheap fan 20 years ago and installed it on the second floor but hardly ever go up there. Came home from vacation, fan was off mind you, and there was a blade on the floor. I grab one of the 3 remaining blades and it broke off with the slightest touch. Same with the next two. The metal had fatigued. I guess that is why it was cheap.

Had another almost fall on a customer after it was hanging for 10 years. The bracket that the ball rests in fatigued and the fan starting to fall... it was hanging by the wires when I got there. She bought the fan so I don't know if it was cheap or not
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    Roger, I bought a real cheap fan 20 years ago and installed it on the second floor but hardly ever go up there. Came home from vacation, fan was off mind you, and there was a blade on the floor. I grab one of the 3 remaining blades and it broke off with the slightest touch. Same with the next two. The metal had fatigued. I guess that is why it was cheap.

Had another almost fall on a customer after it was hanging for 10 years. The bracket that the ball rests in fatigued and the fan starting to fall... it was hanging by the wires when I got there. She bought the fan so I don't know if it was cheap or not
    Had this happen in my mother in law’s house while the fan was running. She was in the room at the time. The blade bracket broke and the blade went flying across the room. She’s lucky she didn’t get hit by it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by retirede View Post
    Had this happen in my mother in law’s house while the fan was running. She was in the room at the time. The blade bracket broke and the blade went flying across the room. She’s lucky she didn’t get hit by it.
    Mother-in law you say?
    You hung the fan?
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
    Mother-in law you say?
    You hung the fan?
    LOL

No, her husband hung the fan. And he died in 1993. The fan failed last year. So it was in service for at least 26 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had great luck with the $50 fans from the box stores. I remember Bob (Iwire) saying a similar thing years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a related note...

My daughter had her house built in 2013. I installed a Hunter fan she bought from Lowes in her basement family room. 5 years later, her kids lost the remote. I went back to Lowe’s for a replacement remote. No longer available. She has no receipt or proof that the fan even came from Lowe’s.
    But they step up and look up that fan from their history in 2013. Since the remote is not available, the give her store credit for the list price of the fan at the time - $169. I get a replacement that sells for $129 that looks identical to the original and she has $40 left to spend. Lowe’s for the win!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by retirede View Post
    On a related note...

My daughter had her house built in 2013. I installed a Hunter fan she bought from Lowes in her basement family room. 5 years later, her kids lost the remote. I went back to Lowe’s for a replacement remote. No longer available. She has no receipt or proof that the fan even came from Lowe’s.
    But they step up and look up that fan from their history in 2013. Since the remote is not available, the give her store credit for the list price of the fan at the time - $169. I get a replacement that sells for $129 that looks identical to the original and she has $40 left to spend. Lowe’s for the win!!
    I too had a good experience with Lowe's customer service (although not as good as yours). Went in to pick up some floor I ordered, and after 1/2 hour of waiting because they are so busy I said I'd come back tomorrow. The manager gave me a 20% discount. Pretty sweet.

We had that hurricane last year, and the big box stores have been swamped since then, still going on today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had got experience with the Emerson brand fans. When I bought them the price was reasonable and they where quiet too.