User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ceiling Paddle Fan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ceiling Paddle Fan

Time to upgrade my ceiling paddle fans in my home. Any recommendations on make, model?
    Go to Paddle Fans R Us to purchase?
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big Asterisk Fans (that's not their real name-- real name has a different middle part) has a lot of high-power, large-size fans! But probably oversized for your living room.

ps-- last time I upgraded a fan, I just went to Big Box Hardware and picked a 'nice-looking' one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want high quality no swinging, go with Casablanca ($$$). Monti Carlo isn't bad.($$).
    I find the box store brands are okay for the money as long as you don't hang them on a pendant and don't mind a little noise and swing.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the looks of minkaaire fans. A bit pricey but nice look.

Or you get nuts with fanimation fans.. The have standard fans and some pretty pricey and strange fans

They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle Dragger View Post
    If you want high quality no swinging, go with Casablanca ($$$). Monti Carlo isn't bad.($$).
    I find the box store brands are okay for the money as long as you don't hang them on a pendant and don't mind a little noise and swing.
    If you are the meticulous type and have a lot of patience there are balance kits that fit any fan. Static balance is easy, dynamic balance is harder, but less likely to be a problem in the first place. Noise, on the other hand, you take what you get.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post

Or you get nuts with fanimation fans.. The have standard fans and some pretty pricey and strange fans

I just installed a 72", 9 blade, brushed nickel fan by Fanimation for a customer and he loved it ( he had it when I got there). It had a DC motor and 6 speeds with remote and LED light (naturally). The price seemed reasonable when I looked it up, sells at Lowe's for $300 ( I don't think that's where the customer bought it).. Kind of a high ceiling so needed a 3 foot down rod.

It did seem quite enough and very stable.

It's looked very good and kind of classy in that particular house.

The best way to choose a fan is to see what may look right and what size would work well and then choose the quality you want.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle Dragger View Post

Many of the big box stores sell the hunter original fans. High priced and heavy but extremely quite and last almost forever. I love the instructions where it says that after 10 years you may want to check the oil.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growler View Post
    I just installed a 72", 9 blade, brushed nickel fan by Fanimation for a customer and he loved it ( he had it when I got there). It had a DC motor and 6 speeds with remote and LED light (naturally). The price seemed reasonable when I looked it up, sells at Lowe's for $300 ( I don't think that's where the customer bought it).. Kind of a high ceiling so needed a 3 foot down rod.

It did seem quite enough and very stable.

It's looked very good and kind of classy in that particular house.

The best way to choose a fan is to see what may look right and what size would work well and then choose the quality you want.
    Good advice. Also, before putting in any fan with a high ceiling, make sure there are no lights above the fan shining down through it!!! Worst case the customer will just have to leave those lights off whenever using the fan. The strobe effect is incredibly annoying, especially with point source lights. Linear fluorescents or LEDs might be OK, as would indirect lighting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    Good advice. Also, before putting in any fan with a high ceiling, make sure there are no lights above the fan shining down through it!!! Worst case the customer will just have to leave those lights off whenever using the fan. The strobe effect is incredibly annoying, especially with point source lights. Linear fluorescents or LEDs might be OK, as would indirect lighting.
    We got lucky on this install and no ceiling lights. The customer wasn't so lucky with another installed a bit earlier. They put up another fan with a remote and left it powered by the dimmer. Messed up the remote. I actually think the customer did it himself and didn't want to admit it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    If you are the meticulous type and have a lot of patience there are balance kits that fit any fan. Static balance is easy, dynamic balance is harder, but less likely to be a problem in the first place. Noise, on the other hand, you take what you get.
    I believe I am meticulous and patient, for the most part. For me, if the fan is out of balance I return it. I won't bother with the counter weights. I just picture the weights flinging of the paddle blade and catching some one in the eye or breaking something.