User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Finishing someone else's work

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Finishing someone else's work

    Had a home owner call me to finish a project that another Electrician didn't finish....for one reason or another....it's a kitchen remodel....

    How would you bid it? I can't see me doing it for anything but time and material because I don't know what loose ends there are.


    I'm new to the estimating side of things
    .....Still just happy to be here.....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Placerville, CA, USA
    Posts
    20,290
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shputnik View Post
    Had a home owner call me to finish a project that another Electrician didn't finish....for one reason or another....it's a kitchen remodel....

    How would you bid it? I can't see me doing it for anything but time and material because I don't know what loose ends there are.


    I'm new to the estimating side of things
    Not only loose ends, but potentially hidden flaws inside walls. A lot of folks are not comfortable taking over with the walls closed unless they know the original contractor's work.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    Not only loose ends, but potentially hidden flaws inside walls. A lot of folks are not comfortable taking over with the walls closed unless they know the original contractor's work.
    I have two million dollar liability.... would that cover me just for what I'm doing...am I accepting liability on the other contractors work....

    It's an Crouse Hinds panel. I plan on afci protection.....Does Crouse hinds list Murray breakers?
    .....Still just happy to be here.....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    6,373
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shputnik View Post
    Had a home owner call me to finish a project that another Electrician didn't finish....for one reason or another....it's a kitchen remodel....

    How many jobs have you ever walked away from in the middle ? If you do there will probably be a good reason.

    Did they get an inspection on the job? Who holds the permit?

    There may not even have been another electrician the homeowner may have gotten in over his/her head.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growler View Post
    How many jobs have you ever walked away from in the middle ? If you do there will probably be a good reason.

    Did they get an inspection on the job? Who holds the permit?

    There may not even have been another electrician the homeowner may have gotten in over his/her head.
    Those are my thoughts... I'm turning to my peers here because I appreciate your opinions
    .....Still just happy to be here.....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    16,602
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind the 1st guy may have left due to not being paid
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Wilmington, NC USA
    Posts
    671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by augie47 View Post
    Keep in mind the 1st guy may have left due to not being paid
    That was my 1st thought.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    25,391
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shputnik View Post
    It's an Crouse Hinds panel. I plan on afci protection.....Does Crouse hinds list Murray breakers?
    I believe you'll find that BR is the line you want. Check the panel label if it's still there.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    SE Florida
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look into the permit history and verify there aren't any liens on the property before you price the job. It can help you get an idea if the electrician was failing inspections or if the GC/customer was delaying the job for one reason or another.

    Also, find out why the homeowner is hiring you instead of the GC. Talk to the GC as well if possible.

    Finishing someone else's work is risky, as others have said. Pricing the job requires paying your crew to inspect the work completed to date for quality and code compliance before you can estimate your costs.

    Unless you are looking to build a relationship with a repeat customer, price the job very high and hope you don't get it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    2,467
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had jobs in limbo over the years

    there's always a reason, the more one has to dig for that reason, the more one should distance his/herself from the job

    ~RJ~

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •