User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Parallel Grounds

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Parallel Grounds

    Can someone please explain to me why when parallel feeds are run, the ground in each must be big enough to protect the entire parallel set rather than just the conductors in each given raceway?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    27,531
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would try but like you I have no idea why?
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Bremerton, Washington
    Posts
    8,206
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A line to ground fault can be fed from each of the circuit. The EGC must be full size to carry the fault.
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    27,531
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom baker View Post
    A line to ground fault can be fed from each of the circuit. The EGC must be full size to carry the fault.
    If the EGC's are all connected on both ends why wouldn't several smaller conductors act like on large one of the fault was in the equipment at the end?

    I guess that if an ungrounded conductor within a raceway got connected to a smaller EGC within that raceway there could be an issue, like if someone cut into the raceway with a saw.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    41,644
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom baker View Post
    A line to ground fault can be fed from each of the circuit. The EGC must be full size to carry the fault.
    Leave out part of what you wanted to say there?


    If we have four parallel conductors but in separate raceways, individual conductors have 1/4 ampacity of the overall set.

    However they have determined what is minimum EGC size for any given OCPD about has to consider how much current the conductor can handle without being severely damaged, you don't want the conductor to fail before the OCPD can respond.

    Part of OP's question probably is considering same for the ungrounded conductor which will be smaller than the OCPD rating, but most the time still is just as large or larger than the min required EGC.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    New York, 40.7514,-73.9925
    Posts
    4,841
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The withstand rating of the EGC has to be able to accommodate all of the fault current that the upstream fuse / breaker can let through until it opens.

    It it was not full sized in each raceway, then a fault within an individual raceway would have a reduced sized EGC trying to carry the fault current by itself and burn-up until the OCPD clears the fault, which might be never at that point if the EGC can't maintain continuity.
    Ron

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    41,644
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ron View Post
    The withstand rating of the EGC has to be able to accommodate all of the fault current that the upstream fuse / breaker can let through until it opens.

    It it was not full sized in each raceway, then a fault within an individual raceway would have a reduced sized EGC trying to carry the fault current by itself and burn-up until the OCPD clears the fault, which might be never at that point if the EGC can't maintain continuity.
    The ungrounded conductor that becomes faulted must also withstand the current, if you want the OCPD to trip before it burns out the conductor. But the ungrounded conductor often is larger than the EGC anyway. I won't say you can't run into needing a larger EGC than the ungrounded conductors, but would be pretty rare I would think.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    27,531
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ron View Post
    The withstand rating of the EGC has to be able to accommodate all of the fault current that the upstream fuse / breaker can let through until it opens.

    It it was not full sized in each raceway, then a fault within an individual raceway would have a reduced sized EGC trying to carry the fault current by itself and burn-up until the OCPD clears the fault, which might be never at that point if the EGC can't maintain continuity.

    I can agree for raceways that do not qualify as an EGC like PVC but to use full size EGC's in each parallel run of EMT or RMC is just a waste of money.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    New York, 40.7514,-73.9925
    Posts
    4,841
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    The ungrounded conductor that becomes faulted must also withstand the current, if you want the OCPD to trip before it burns out the conductor. But the ungrounded conductor often is larger than the EGC anyway. I won't say you can't run into needing a larger EGC than the ungrounded conductors, but would be pretty rare I would think.
    Section 250.122(A) indicates that EGCs never have to be larger than the ungrounded conductors of the circuit.
    Ron

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    27,531
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ron View Post
    Section 250.122(A) indicates that EGCs never have to be larger than the ungrounded conductors of the circuit.
    I agree except for parallel runs where the ungrounded conductor is the sum of all the parallel sets so you could end up with the EGC's in each parallel raceway that are required to be larger than the condcutors within each raceway.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •