User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: kitchen countertop recep spacing with large garden window

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    There are ways of complying, they just don't make those involved very happy. Don't want to drill a pop up into the stone counter? Pendant drop is code compliant, the woman of the house probably won't like it unless they have some sort of industrial design scheme.
    I'm envisioning this as a 5' wide pass-thru from the kitchen to the patio.

I can also see the party flowing from inside to outside, with food & beverages being pushed back and forth over the counter, perhaps with crock pots and warming trays all over the place.

I think the pendant drop has the most potential-- but drop one down each side of the window opening. Make the pendants look like they're permanently installed, until you need to plug something in in the middle of the counter.

Or just a wall-mounted outlet at the base of the window frame on either side of the opening. Makes the center of the counter 2-1/2' from an outlet.

ps--

How 'bout an outlet mounted 2 feet up the side of the window,facing either (or both) inside and outside. When you need the outlet, it swings down and rests on the counter.. One on either side of the opening?

Retractable pendants, popping out of the windowsill on either side of the opening and pulled across the counter to where they're needed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We really need to see a pic or two.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    We really need to see a pic or two.
    I dunno. The creative juices are really flowing, as usual.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apologies ok...here is the 60" width kitchen garden window in question. Quartz countertop will go straight across the window at sill height, extending into it as it passes...ie no backsplash. And 5 ft wide.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...and no backyard picnics/barbecues/etc. Just plants. Does the window 'deck' slope towards the inside/sink? <-- no sink, you said. Where does all the condensation go??

What are the 2 'holes' in the windowsill?

You said this is an extension of the countertop... Any hope this could be considered a peninsula? How wide is the countertop? Any hope of outlets along the front edge meeting code?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the holes are filled with concrete...this is ICF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RFI the designer for a solution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sink is in the left side window...the other one is bare countertop
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    OK. Here is one possible approach. What do you all think?

210.52(A)(2) clarifies what is meant by "wall space." But it starts by saying, "As used in this section. . . ." Since (A)(2) is part of (A), I infer that that clarification only applies within (A). Specifically, it does not apply to 210.52(C). In other words, we don't have a clarification of what is meant by "wall space," in the context of "countertop wall space." Therefore, we cannot begin by saying a floor-to-ceiling window in the family room counts as wall space, and conclude therefrom that a countertop-to-ceiling window in the kitchen also counts as wall space.

I am inclined to go with Tim's post #2. It's not "countertop wall space" because there is no wall, and because we don't have a rule that says a window behind a kitchen countertop counts as wall space.

In the NEC style manual a "section" is described by "xxx.xx". I would contend that the "section" is 210.52 and that the wall space descriptions in 210.52(A)(2) apply to all of 210.52. Just my opinion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would ask the architect to propose a solution, with the "threat" that you'll have no choice to install a pedestal receptacle, or worse, right in the middle otherwise.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P88963.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	22951 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiremold-legrand-boxes-brackets-nmw2-d-64_1000.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	22952
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA