User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: kitchen countertop recep spacing with large garden window

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestion is to speak with the local AHJ about (1) Whether the 24" rule applies to this installation, and if so, (2) Can you get an exemption? If you put a receptacle on the left and right vertical areas of the window opening, the center of the window space would be 30" from a receptacle on either side. I don't see a safety issue with that.
    Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would just add a receptacle on both sides of the garden window facing each other and hope the inspector doesn't want more than that. Otherwise, you may have to install a pop up receptacle.

The ones we have done had the sink in the middle so one on each side work great.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A pop up should be fine. Quartz countertops actually are fairly easy to drill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I call this the common sense rule. This has always been in Ohio's residential code.

This is why I like the word "shall"!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
    Inspector Mike®
    ESI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    I would ask the architect to propose a solution, with the "threat" that you'll have no choice to install a pedestal receptacle, or worse, right in the middle otherwise.

Attachment 22951 Attachment 22952
    Have you encountered architects with the first clue about such things?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimWA View Post
    Have you encountered architects with the first clue about such things?
    A couple.

My suggestion is to show him how ugly the electrician's solution will be, if he doesn't have a better one.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    OK. Here is one possible approach. What do you all think?

210.52(A)(2) clarifies what is meant by "wall space." But it starts by saying, "As used in this section. . . ." Since (A)(2) is part of (A), I infer that that clarification only applies within (A). Specifically, it does not apply to 210.52(C). In other words, we don't have a clarification of what is meant by "wall space," in the context of "countertop wall space." Therefore, we cannot begin by saying a floor-to-ceiling window in the family room counts as wall space, and conclude therefrom that a countertop-to-ceiling window in the kitchen also counts as wall space.

I am inclined to go with Tim's post #2. It's not "countertop wall space" because there is no wall, and because we don't have a rule that says a window behind a kitchen countertop counts as wall space.
    Quote Originally Posted by packersparky View Post
    In the NEC style manual a "section" is described by "xxx.xx". I would contend that the "section" is 210.52 and that the wall space descriptions in 210.52(A)(2) apply to all of 210.52. Just my opinion.

I agree I think "section" that it applies to is all of 210.52
    Exception: Receptacle outlets shall not be required on a wall directly behind a range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink in the installation described in Figure 210.52(C)(1)Figure210.52(C)(1)

If there is range or sink in front of window and there is more than 12 inches of counter behind it (which looks like would be likely in OP's pictures) a receptacle would be needed if window is 5 feet wide. One on each "side wall" would work if window were only 4 feet or less.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok getting back if anyone's still following this, response to my email query on this with pics to lead electrical inspector:

"The requirement is for “counter” space that is against a wall space. A garden window (or any window) does not make that space exempt.

The answer is yes outlets are required within 24” of a sink or other obstruction, and you cannot have more than 48” between outlets (any space has to be within 24” of an outlet). You can mount them in the front of the cabinet (no more than 12” down), or use the new pop-up type to cover those spaces.

Thank you,

Lead Electrical Inspector
    Tumwater and Aberdeen Offices
    Department of Labor and Industries Electrical"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimWA View Post
    Ok getting back if anyone's still following this, response to my email query on this with pics to lead electrical inspector:

"The requirement is for “counter” space that is against a wall space. A garden window (or any window) does not make that space exempt.

The answer is yes outlets are required within 24” of a sink or other obstruction, and you cannot have more than 48” between outlets (any space has to be within 24” of an outlet). You can mount them in the front of the cabinet (no more than 12” down), or use the new pop-up type to cover those spaces.

Thank you,

Lead Electrical Inspector
    Tumwater and Aberdeen Offices
    Department of Labor and Industries Electrical"
    I'll petition for an exception/exemption! Keep the nice, clean lines of a garden window, with an outlet on either side. During a party, re-arrange the warming trays, and put a cold dish between them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMmn View Post
    I'll petition for an exception/exemption! Keep the nice, clean lines of a garden window, with an outlet on either side. During a party, re-arrange the warming trays, and put a cold dish between them.
    +1

The totality of circumstances. You are only talking about a 6" gap or 3" from each side. I've yet to meet a lady who would plop a crockpot in the middle of a window and leave it there...