User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 59

Thread: kitchen countertop recep spacing with large garden window

  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    25,401
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, look at the "bright" () side: with a front-mounted receptacle, the receptacles flanking the window won't have to crowd the window trim; they can be a couple of feet away.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Olivehurst California
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a 4 inch spacer below the header atop the window. Pull that spacer out and raise the window 4 inches. That will give you a 4 inches sill to put your outlet turned sideways.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    41,289
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Ensslin View Post
    There is a 4 inch spacer below the header atop the window. Pull that spacer out and raise the window 4 inches. That will give you a 4 inches sill to put your outlet turned sideways.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Window may not be able to go any higher on the outside of he wall.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Olivehurst California
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that be the case pendant receptacles look like the only option.
    Maybe you can find some really cool ones


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimWA View Post
    Ok getting back if anyone's still following this, response to my email query on this with pics to lead electrical inspector:


    " You can mount them in the front of the cabinet (no more than 12” down), or use the new pop-up type to cover those spaces.

    Thank you,

    *********
    Lead Electrical Inspector
    Tumwater and Aberdeen Offices
    Department of Labor and Industries Electrical"
    I don't see how mounting them in the front of the cabinet would be compliant with 210.52(C)(5).

    (5) Receptacle Outlet Location. Receptacle outlets shall be
    located on or above, but not more than 500 mm (20 in.) above,
    the countertop or work surface.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Iowegia
    Posts
    18,515
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by packersparky View Post
    I don't see how mounting them in the front of the cabinet would be compliant with 210.52(C)(5).

    (5) Receptacle Outlet Location. Receptacle outlets shall be
    located on or above, but not more than 500 mm (20 in.) above,
    the countertop or work surface.
    Read the exception.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
    Read the exception.
    The exception only applies to construction for the physically impaired and island and peninsula countertops.
    Last edited by packersparky; 06-02-19 at 11:14 PM.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Iowegia
    Posts
    18,515
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by packersparky View Post
    The exception only applies to construction for the physically impaired and island and peninsula countertops.
    Keep reading.

    (1) Construction for the physically impaired
    (2) On island and peninsular countertops or work surface where the surface is ƒat across its entire surface (no backsplashes, dividers, etc.) and there are no means to mount a receptacle within 500 mm (20 in.) above the countertop or work surface, such as an overhead cabinet


  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
    Keep reading.


    The "work surface" that is mentioned is specific to an island or peninsula work surface.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    25,401
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by packersparky View Post
    The "work surface" that is mentioned is specific to an island or peninsula work surface.
    Name:  smile_popcorn.gif
Views: 110
Size:  2.9 KB
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •