User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Resistance Check on a Pool pump Motor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't repair motors anymore, in fact for years. We don't even replace residential backyard motors either. We replace the entire pump which gives the homeowner a new warranty.

Once the bearings go on motors, it usually damages the bearing race the shaft rides on. Even if that's all good and you can replace the bearings, a new motor shaft is needed, possibly a new impeller, volute-now the cost is going up for the repair. By that point your more than halfway to a new pump.

The pump manufacturers have gotten smart over the last few years and they know their competition. They design replacement pumps to match up to existing plumbing of the competitors for an easy swap. Little downtime for a homeowner especially when parties are in the works.

The commercial motors I have worked on in the past, are sometimes worth repairing. 5-15 HP pumps can be $6K-$10K

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Pools View Post
    We don't repair motors anymore, in fact for years. We don't even replace residential backyard motors either. We replace the entire pump which gives the homeowner a new warranty.

Once the bearings go on motors, it usually damages the bearing race the shaft rides on. Even if that's all good and you can replace the bearings, a new motor shaft is needed, possibly a new impeller, volute-now the cost is going up for the repair. By that point your more than halfway to a new pump.

The pump manufacturers have gotten smart over the last few years and they know their competition. They design replacement pumps to match up to existing plumbing of the competitors for an easy swap. Little downtime for a homeowner especially when parties are in the works.

The commercial motors I have worked on in the past, are sometimes worth repairing. 5-15 HP pumps can be $6K-$10K
    For a pool guy in a metro area, makes sense. No pools guys within 100 or even 150 miles from me, closest thing is spa dealers that also do some above ground pools. Service calls to drive 100 miles makes the complete pump cost seem like nothing I imagine.

I don't fully get what you mean with bearing race being damaged. I replace a lot of ball bearings in various motors, wearing of end housings where the outer portion of bearing sits is the biggest thing that wears out besides the bearing itself, motor shafts are almost always fine. If you are talking about a sleeve type bearing then the shaft can be an issue sometimes, but the sleeve is the softer material and is usually what wears the most. I don't think motors with that kind of bearing are typically used on this kind of equipment though, mostly limited to blower motors up to about 1 HP or other motors under 1/6 HP.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.