Receptacle behing a window curtain

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Has anyone had 2nd thoughts about doing this when asked too?

JAP>

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If it has to be there per code then I am not concerned however I would avoid it only because it is not very useful

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Christmas candle lights also.

Which is exactly what this will be for.
Something about the curtain draping over the outlet didn't sit right with me.

I guess I just needed to hear it.

JAP>

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Which is exactly what this will be for.
Something about the curtain draping over the outlet didn't sit right with me.

I guess I just needed to hear it.

JAP>

Outlets under windows are very common; there are at least eight of them in my house. How would the person wiring the house know whether the homeowner would be installing curtains that only cover the window or curtains that go to the floor?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Outlets under windows are very common; there are at least eight of them in my house. How would the person wiring the house know whether the homeowner would be installing curtains that only cover the window or curtains that go to the floor?

In my case the house is already built and the curtains are already there. :)

JAP>

user 100

How would the person wiring the house know whether the homeowner would be installing curtains that only cover the window or curtains that go to the floor............

Or if/when they move crap like beds, couches, love seats, armoires, etc up against the receptacles and cover them up that way.:D

mgookin

Furniture up against a plug is of greater concern than a curtain obstructing the receptacle.

Think about this. We install receptacles in master bedrooms. There is a night stand each side of the bed. The receptacle is often in the middle of the wall behind the headboard. A young couple who is active at bedtime is slamming that headboard into the plugs for hours on end.

In your case there is less airflow and maybe accumulation of dust. While that's a concern, we can only go with the codes (at a minimum) and the protections the codes give us. If you're that concerned, and it's not on AFCI, make it AFCI so the dust and curtains don't catch fire.
I actually think you're safer with the curtains there because there is less chance of the occupant pushing furniture up against it so hard that it damages a plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.