Generator project for multiple buldings

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundowner

Good morning all - I'm involved in a multi building, multi generator project where 5 of my buildings will be getting padmount gen-sets. Gas, 150KW capacity - my question is about an E-stop and if (why) they are required - how do you guys do this - I certainly don't want to E-stop a loaded gen-set. I also don't want to expose my building loads to a coasting gen. I see other buildings on campus have an E-stop near the pad mount gens but I imgine only for the gas solenoid. I'll try to verify this in the prints, Nothing in 445 spells anything out either.

Should I even recommend an E-stop install.

Looking for a little advice - ??

mgookin

I see you're at a University. We have close relations with some Universities down here. Generally speaking, they have good records because they are a unit of government and are required by law to maintain records.

While I know of no regulation requiring a e-stop on a genset (don't take that to mean there is no requirement; I just am not aware of one) I'll suggest you pull the plans from the previous installations which have it and ask that engineer why the e-stop is on the plans. It could be as simple as a safety measure for someone servicing the genset. Maybe he interprets an OSHA regulation or similar as requiring it.

And by e-stop, you mean a mushroom out at the genset?

Greatest concern is that you don't put it on there, then something happens, and someone says "all the others have it, why doesn't this one have a e-stop?"

LIM

Good morning all - I'm involved in a multi building, multi generator project where 5 of my buildings will be getting padmount gen-sets. Gas, 150KW capacity - my question is about an E-stop and if (why) they are required - how do you guys do this - I certainly don't want to E-stop a loaded gen-set. I also don't want to expose my building loads to a coasting gen. I see other buildings on campus have an E-stop near the pad mount gens but I imgine only for the gas solenoid. I'll try to verify this in the prints, Nothing in 445 spells anything out either.

Should I even recommend an E-stop install.

Looking for a little advice - ??

Start Here

NFPA 110 (2010 Edition) 5.6.5.6

Status
Not open for further replies.