User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lighted switches w/ CFL or LED loads?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lighted switches w/ CFL or LED loads?

First time in years I've bought lighted switches (Leviton, from Big Orange); they're marked "Not for use with LED of CFL bulbs". Does that really matter? The old neon-lit switches used the leakage through the incandescent lamp to make them light- CFLs don't have enough? LEDs?

The place I'm installing them doesn't get much use and still has a lot incandescent lamps so it shouldn't be a problem for a while, but maybe next year somebody goes and swaps out all the old lamps for LEDs.

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about cfl but an led lamp will glow faintly when the switch is off.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    I don't know about cfl but an led lamp will glow faintly when the switch is off.
    CFL's can do the same

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    That's pretty much what I expect.... and it's just a little extra light to find help find the switch .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need a switch plate with a built-in night-light. Weren't there some mentioned here that just slip over the switch (or was it a duplex outlet) and use spring pressure to grab onto the screw terminals on the device?

Do they make switches that need a hot lead just to make a night-light light?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMmn View Post
    You need a switch plate with a built-in night-light. Weren't there some mentioned here that just slip over the switch (or was it a duplex outlet) and use spring pressure to grab onto the screw terminals on the device?

Do they make switches that need a hot lead just to make a night-light light?
    It is for duplex outlets only. The screw placement and energization on switches is not consistent enough to support that use.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zbang View Post
    That's pretty much what I expect.... and it's just a little extra light to find help find the switch .
    Does some company make one with a neutral connection? That would solved the problem of of not having an incandescent type lamp in series with the lighted switch.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I commented in that thread about the switch/receptacle night lights. With the receptacle night lights still in my head (that are always on) I was thinking about where they got the neutral from with the switch. Then the rusty gears started to turn in my mind and, DUH, HELLO! the night light is in series with the load just like any other switch with the light built in.

-Hal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need one of these. Of course, you have to have hot + neutral in the box!

There are some pretty pictures about lighted switches at https://willnicholes.com/cflswitches.htm

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They would be the same as a lighted switch: bulb in parallel with switch, powered through load.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA