User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Switch rating on a circuit ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    2,499
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Switch rating on a circuit ?

    A 20amp single pole circuit feeds a duplex receptacle through a single poll toggle switch,

    The duplex receptacle can be rated at 15 amp. Should the switch be rated at 15 or 20 amp?

    Wondering ?

    Thank you
    " I'm at a crucial part of my painting "...........Monika Danneman

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    6,373
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try 404.14 (F) seems to indicate that the switch would be rated for the breaker size or 20 amps.

    Exception: where a snap switch is used to control not more than one receptacle on a branch circuit the switch shall be permitted to be rated at not more than the receptacle.

    If you have a single switched 15 amp receptacle then the switch could be rated at 15 amps.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    27,314
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growler View Post
    Try 404.14 (F) seems to indicate that the switch would be rated for the breaker size or 20 amps.

    Exception: where a snap switch is used to control not more than one receptacle on a branch circuit the switch shall be permitted to be rated at not more than the receptacle.

    If you have a single switched 15 amp receptacle then the switch could be rated at 15 amps.
    True, but can a single 15 amp receptacle be on a 20 amp circuit?
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Wilmington, NC USA
    Posts
    666
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    True, but can a single 15 amp receptacle be on a 20 amp circuit?
    No, but you could have multiple receptacles with only 1 switched.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,639
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    True, but can a single 15 amp receptacle be on a 20 amp circuit?
    If you have four 15 amp duplex receptacles on a 20 amp circuit, and four snap switches, each controlling a single receptacle, you'd be OK.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Clark County, NV
    Posts
    2,222
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If switched by a 15A switch, can the receptacle be a 15A duplex, or must it be a single?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Wilmington, NC USA
    Posts
    666
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    If switched by a 15A switch, can the receptacle be a 15A duplex, or must it be a single?
    I don't think it can be a duplex unless the switch is rated for the circuit OCP.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    6,373
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    If switched by a 15A switch, can the receptacle be a 15A duplex, or must it be a single?

    You could switch half of the duplex by breaking the tab and leave the other side hot all the time.

    The idea is that the switch has to be rated for the highest load that can be connected. What is the highest load that can be connected to a single 15 amp receptacle? If you switch a duplex you could plug in two appliances that could exceed the 15 amp rating.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    41,277
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never given this any thought before. Seen 15 amp switches many times on 20 amp circuits supplying multiple receptacles.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    6,373
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Never given this any thought before. Seen 15 amp switches many times on 20 amp circuits supplying multiple receptacles.
    I'm sure that plenty of them have passed inspection because no one really gives it a second thought.

    I doubt that it would be considered dangerous, if a switch goes bad it just goes bad.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •