User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rest room exhaust fan controlled by motion sensor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rest room exhaust fan controlled by motion sensor

We have a 1/5 h.p. 120v. 6.5 amp exhaust fan that serves 2 locker rooms adjacent to a fitness center in one of my buildings, currently has no operating control whatsoever, would like to connect it thru a ceiling mount occ. sensor mounted in a vestibule between the 2 locker rooms, can someone recommend an appropriate occ. sensor to use?
    Mt. Falls, Va.
    "Not a sermon, just a thought"
    A licensed electrically-related individual

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtfallsmikey View Post
    We have a 1/5 h.p. 120v. 6.5 amp exhaust fan that serves 2 locker rooms adjacent to a fitness center in one of my buildings, currently has no operating control whatsoever, would like to connect it thru a ceiling mount occ. sensor mounted in a vestibule between the 2 locker rooms, can someone recommend an appropriate occ. sensor to use?
    My only issue with operating it from the vestibule is that people likely spend more time in the locker room(s) than in the vesitbule and it may not run when you want it to run.

I'd probably make it run anytime locker room lights are on. The thing is you appear to have 1 fan and 2 rooms - some relay logic maybe needed to do this unless you want both rooms lights to operate at same time.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    The thing is you appear to have 1 fan and 2 rooms - some relay logic maybe needed to do this unless you want both rooms lights to operate at same time.
    Use 2-pole switches, with the second poles connected in parallel.

Lights independent, fan in common. Simple OR gate.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    My only issue with operating it from the vestibule is that people likely spend more time in the locker room(s) than in the vesitbule and it may not run when you want it to run.

I'd probably make it run anytime locker room lights are on. The thing is you appear to have 1 fan and 2 rooms - some relay logic maybe needed to do this unless you want both rooms lights to operate at same time.
    Good idea, but I don't want to over-engineer this. The doors to the locker rooms are on the right and left side of the vestibule, the sensor would pick up movement from anyone entering that area, regardless of which locker room they enter, would start the fan, we would set it up to run for 30 min. The elec. contr. we used on the recent remodeling project sent me info on a couple of different sensors that are rated for use for that size of motor.
    Mt. Falls, Va.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtfallsmikey View Post
    The doors to the locker rooms are on the right and left side of the vestibule, the sensor would pick up movement from anyone entering that area, regardless of which locker room they enter, would start the fan, we would set it up to run for 30 min.
    That also guarantees that the fan will run for 30 minutes every time someone leaves.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    That also guarantees that the fan will run for 30 minutes every time someone leaves.
    Which might be a good idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    True, this is not a huge concern. Hopefully at some point, we will install a relay system tied to our EMS, and have the fan operate under the occupied TOD schedule for lighting, and HVAC operation
    Mt. Falls, Va.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you’ve ever walked in to a gym locker room early in the morning the smell is atrocious. I’d keep the fan running 24/7.
    The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony S View Post
    If you’ve ever walked in to a gym locker room early in the morning the smell is atrocious. I’d keep the fan running 24/7.
    I was also thinking the HVAC engineer probably selected the fan and airflow based on it running 24x7.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve66 View Post
    I was also thinking the HVAC engineer probably selected the fan and airflow based on it running 24x7.
    Previous tenants installed the locker rooms/fan, it used to run 24/7, I've been directed not to do that.
    Mt. Falls, Va.