voltage tester was picking up voltage on a detached wire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Home inspector's question:

Can anyone explain why my voltage tester was picking up voltage on a detached wire in the panel? The tester's sensitivity range is 50V-1000V. Can detached wires have voltage over 50V?

http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/electrical-testers/non-contact-voltage-tester

Attachments

• DSC03243.jpg
    DSC03243.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 2

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Put a working incandescent light bulb across the black & white then black & grounding then grounding & White. If either one lights up you have an energized NM cable. If it does not light up and your pocket tester does not light up then it is a ghost/phantom voltage.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Put a working incandescent light bulb across the black & white then black & grounding then grounding & White. If either one lights up you have an energized NM cable. If it does not light up and your pocket tester does not light up then it is a ghost/phantom voltage.
Look at the picture in the OP and think about the advice you are giving.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
What is on the other end of the cable being tested?

Could be connected to a breaker in the panel and the cable shown was a second homerun pulled by mistake.
Sot of like a ring circuit.
But that's just a possibility...

iwire

Staff member
If I knew why I might could answer "why not"!
I'm asking why a HI might need to?

Well how would you check for double taps and other issues without opening the panel?

As far as being barehanded that is likely a safety violation but are we going to hold HIs to higher standard than ourselves?:)

growler

Better question....
Why is the OP, as a HI, using a noncontact tester in a live panel?

I think Little Bill has a point, it's not really part of their job. They open the panel for a visual inspection and if they see anything questionable they should write it up.

Electricians shouldn't get upset when they see something like this on a home inspection report. You have cable in a live panel that's not capped off or taped.

iwire

Staff member
I think Little Bill has a point, it's not really part of their job. They open the panel for a visual inspection and if they see anything questionable they should write it up.

Electricians shouldn't get upset when they see something like this on a home inspection report. You have cable in a live panel that's not capped off or taped.

I am at a loss why you would think an HI should not be using a non-contact tester. I am willing to bet it is in their training to do so.

Of course I have never understood the animosity between electricians and HIs. :)

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Well how would you check for double taps and other issues without opening the panel?

As far as being barehanded that is likely a safety violation but are we going to hold HIs to higher standard than ourselves?:)

I was trying to avoid the "double tap" subject here but that's my point. What's the tester got to do with checking that?

Seems you have your "arguing britches" on today!:p

iwire

Staff member
I was trying to avoid the "double tap" subject here but that's my point. What's the tester got to do with checking that?

Is there a reason they should not use a tester if they see something odd?

Seems you have your "arguing britches" on today!:p

:lol::lol:

I am working really odd schedules lately and right now I am board out of my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.