User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does "wet location" have anything to do with the interior of an outdoor disconnect/en

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does "wet location" have anything to do with the interior of an outdoor disconnect/en

/enclosure?

Hello,

On a different forum, we were discussing wiring HVAC disconnects and the common practice of bringing Romex through the back of the disconnect and then using THHN from the disconnect to the unit.

My belief has always been that the inspectors simply allow this because it would be a pain to transition to a wiring method for wet locations before entering the disconnect.

I was told that while the disconnect is in a wet location, the interior of the enclosure is a dry location, so the install is just fine. This position makes no sense to me because all of the location definitions have nothing to do with wiring methods; just where the installation is located.

What say you fine people?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't give "them" and ideas
    The NEC specifically spells out the interior of a raceway in a wet location is considered a wet location. I do not believe there is any such reference to the interior of an enclosure in a wet location so an inspector would be hard pressed to give you a Code reference.

Welcome !
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What other forum? Maybe we need to go there and set them straight.

-Hal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by augie47 View Post
    Don't give "them" and ideas
    The NEC specifically spells out the interior of a raceway in a wet location is considered a wet location. I do not believe there is any such reference to the interior of an enclosure in a wet location so an inspector would be hard pressed to give you a Code reference.

Welcome !
    I sure hope the interior of outside enclosures are not wet locations, or else millions of outside panelboards with breakers in them would be a violation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Visiting a couple other forums a few years ago, others insisted that the wire has to be change to exterior rated wiring before going out to exterior receptacles, disconnects, lighting.. I never had issues in Jersey with Rx going to external boxes....... But then again, I see primary service conductors sleeved in schedule 40 pvc in areas subject to damage... (just to mention, I see a new service that went in, the electrician did this funky terrible looking bend at the service head on seu to make it perpendicular to the cable, but installs the schedule 40 in the driveway ???)
    " I'm at a crucial part of my painting "...........Monika Danneman

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The interior of a disconnect is not a wet location. It's that simple.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 3R rating permits the inside of the enclosure below any live part to be wet and requires drain holes.
    Don, Illinois
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by packersparky View Post
    I sure hope the interior of outside enclosures are not wet locations, or else millions of outside panelboards with breakers in them would be a violation.
    I think the manufacturers breakers are listed for use in both dry location and wet location rated enclosures.

Interestingly enough, Eaton makes a series of interlocks that fit inside those same enclosures. One set it rated for indoor use and another set is rated for outdoor. This would suggest that even the manufacturer thinks the interior of their weatherproof enclosures is not dry a location.

Pure logic would indicate that the interior of an outdoor enclosure is probably the most similar to the damp location definition and as such would violate 334.12(B)4 if wiring with Romex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    The 3R rating permits the inside of the enclosure below any live part to be wet and requires drain holes.
    Then they put entry hub in top center of the enclosure so that any raceway you connect to it will drain right onto any components you place in the enclosure

Seen many main lugs and main breakers fail over years because of this.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    So, would that mean the interior of the enclosure could be considered damp?