3way travelers distances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to ask about maximum allowed distances between 3way switches. My example would be in a distribution warehouse with switch location placed at opposite entry/exit doors. These doors are several hundred feet apart in distance. Everything I've read gives switch placement values at door areas, but I can't find anything on distances. Obviously, I will have jboxes along the route, but is there any distance limitation on traveler lengths on a three way system? I was going to use #10 thhn copper as these lights are LED strips. Any code references would be cool also. Much thanks.

iwire

Staff member
NEC wise there is no limit for the length of traveler conductors. The NEC does not even require wall switches in a warehouse.

If you have energy codes to comply with you will have to calculate the voltage drop of the circuit.

You might want to consider using a wireless switch for this.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
NEC wise there is no limit for the length of traveler conductors. The NEC does not even require wall switches in a warehouse.

If you have energy codes to comply with you will have to calculate the voltage drop of the circuit.

You might want to consider using a wireless switch for this.

...great, promote plug and play for tradesman :ashamed:

iwire

Staff member
IMO much more reliable and less costly than wireless.

I am not sure you understand the options for wireless. Besides the fact with a contactor the OP still has a long way to go.

But to each their own, I centrality have no problem with contactors. :)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I am not sure you understand the options for wireless. Besides the fact with a contactor the OP still has a long way to go.

But to each their own, I centrality have no problem with contactors. :)
Perhaps I don't understand the options for wireless lighting control. Doubtful I'll look into it for the sake of a post on this forum. But I do understand the reliability of wireless in general. It has some redeeming factors and has been improving as years pass. Nevertheless, IMO it cannot begin to touch the long-term reliability of wired.

Then there's the simplicity of repair and replacement that hasn't been weighed into it. :angel:

iwire

Staff member
But I do understand the reliability of wireless in general.

Perhaps, but we have entire large office buildings running nothing but wireless switches. These are truly wireless, no box, no wires. They mount on the wall with ancors or double sided tape. :D These are Lutron brand devices and they seem to be working trouble free.

But it was just a suggestion, if the OP wants stay with standard three ways direct, or to a contactor or momentary switches with latching contactors or wireless is up to them. :)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Perhaps, but we have entire large office buildings running nothing but wireless switches. These are truly wireless, no box, no wires. They mount on the wall with ancors or double sided tape. :D These are Lutron brand devices and they seem to be working trouble free.
And this is exactly why I'll not say wireless is out of the question... but if I ever went wireless on anything it would certainly be with products of a reputable manufacturer such as Lutron.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have used Watt Stopper BZ50 power packs for 3-way switches to avoid long runs of power conductors. For long or complicated runs it is easier and cheaper to install the power pack at the fixture and run a 22-4 Class 2 cable to each switch.

jusme123

Occupation
JW

But it was just a suggestion, if the OP wants stay with standard three ways direct, or to a contactor or momentary switches with latching contactors or wireless is up to them. :)

tell them they can even do it themselves :p

Ragin Cajun

I have used the Lutron wireless switches. Have one in my own office. They do have a limited distance but I don't think in the hundred's of feet is likely.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I have used the Lutron wireless switches. Have one in my own office. They do have a limited distance but I don't think in the hundred's of feet is likely.

I think the specs say 30', although I've put a couple in over 30' (maybe 50') and they worked fine.

But I'm like you, I don't think "hundreds of feet" would work. I'm just thinking of the RF switch that Lutron has, also the same as Caseta. There may be a longer distance switch that Lutron makes that I don't know about.

Status
Not open for further replies.