Light Switch Distance from Doorway

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
It's certainly a commonsense approach, as the NEC would allow the situation jumper described.

The question I have where they finding many contractors placing the switch for the bedroom in the kitchen or the finding the light switch for the den 15' from the door?

This type of issue is self correcting in my mind, ECs that worked like that would not keep getting work.

user 100

The question I have where they finding many contractors placing the switch for the bedroom in the kitchen or the finding the light switch for the den 15' from the door?

This type of issue is self correcting in my mind, ECs that worked like that would not keep getting work.

This really is a non issue. I find this kind of funny-that those who keep insisting there be some NEC rule for this obviously won't be living in a new house being built for someone else.

It's been argued in other threads there is inconvenience or danger involved- as if the people that didn't want the sw in the same room weren't already aware of the fact it may be inconvenient and that others may not find the sw in the dark? Maybe the ho wants it that way- who cares.:D

Other than coming up w/ some arbitrary rule like a "just because", why should they care if it's convenient or safe for some other individual?:happyno:

Well that's information you didn't originally supply, isn't it? It's certainly a commonsense approach, as the NEC would allow the situation jumper described.

This is information that I acquired during the human process of problem solving, a process which involved the use of this forum (which seems to be a great medium for gathering useless condescending remarks), the code book, our own specifications, and Local AHJ docs. Most processes have a beginning and an end... they don't happen all at once. But thank you for the feedback. :happyno:

I found my answer on my own, and I was simply following up encase someone might find the info useful in the future.... rather than being told that the switch can be placed on different floors, in different rooms, or different time-space dimensions.

Thanks for the help.

iwire

Staff member
This is information that I acquired during the human process of problem solving, a process which involved the use of this forum (which seems to be a great medium for gathering useless condescending remarks), the code book, our own specifications, and Local AHJ docs. Most processes have a beginning and an end... they don't happen all at once. But thank you for the feedback. :happyno:

I found my answer on my own, and I was simply following up encase someone might find the info useful in the future.... rather than being told that the switch can be placed on different floors, in different rooms, or different time-space dimensions.

Thanks for the help.

I am sorry you feel that way.

I am truly curious why you would expect a National forum to know about a south Nevada amendment?

No one was condescending to you, we gave you correct information based on the National Electrical Code.

I hope you stick around.

Just to clarify, I am not dealing with residential service truck EC's where I work. I am dealing with Industrial/Commercial Contractors on a hard-bid contract basis. Govt entities accept the lowest bid to do the work. This is the law. Most EC's will do the absolute bare minimum for payout. They will argue the most obvious flaws until the end. I have been on the contractor side of this business as an inside wireman for 12 years so I know this to be true...

Now here is the kicker... as a Govt entity, you can not black list a contractor, no matter how poor they performed. The only way to keep a contractor off the bid list is if they have caused IMMENSE damages, negligent death, or massive security problems.

Therefore... EC's putting light switches in ridiculous locations is not a problem that sorts itself out. It's a bit more hands-on.

I am sorry you feel that way.

I am truly curious why you would expect a National forum to know about a south Nevada amendment?

No one was condescending to you, we gave you correct information based on the National Electrical Code.

I hope you stick around.

Truth be told, I didn't expect anything out of anyone. I was in search of a quick answer after a brief thumbing through the NEC, and frankly, I got a couple answers that rubbed me the wrong way. I have a lot of respect for Mike Holt, but anytime you put a bunch of electricians in one place... egos can be an issue...

Your answer was fine, I just thought I would elaborate on it a bit...

I will be around :)

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Just to clarify, I am not dealing with residential service truck EC's where I work. I am dealing with Industrial/Commercial Contractors on a hard-bid contract basis. Govt entities accept the lowest bid to do the work. This is the law. Most EC's will do the absolute bare minimum for payout. They will argue the most obvious flaws until the end. I have been on the contractor side of this business as an inside wireman for 12 years so I know this to be true...

Now here is the kicker... as a Govt entity, you can not black list a contractor, no matter how poor they performed. The only way to keep a contractor off the bid list is if they have caused IMMENSE damages, negligent death, or massive security problems.

Therefore... EC's putting light switches in ridiculous locations is not a problem that sorts itself out. It's a bit more hands-on.

I know that NJ agencies can and will put you on their !@#$ list. All bids state something to the effect that the award is to the lowest qualified bidder. If you've under-performed in the past they will "unqualify" you.

Status
Not open for further replies.