User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Digital Circuit Breakers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Digital Circuit Breakers

These breakers have recently gotten UL approval.
    But it will probably be awhile before we see them in Home Depot :

https://www.google.com/amp/s/spectru...akers.amp.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    190522-0446 EDT

See https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/d79...6f773b6803.pdf

Look at SiC voltage drop compared to an electromechanical switch. Possibly at least 100 times more power loss in the SiC switch compared to a silver contact switch for the same switched current.

In the early 1960s I was involved in the early demonstration of an electronic breaker. I used SCRs, these have high voltage drop when on, about volt or so, but lower than SiC devices. Silver contacts are in the millivolt range.

For a lot of purposes I don't think a solid-state power switch is better than electromechanical. But electronic control of the switch has some great advantages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They aren't the only one

Quote Originally Posted by synchro View Post
    These breakers have recently gotten UL approval.
    But it will probably be awhile before we see them in Home Depot :

https://www.google.com/amp/s/spectru...akers.amp.html

ABB unveiled this 1p 1500VDC breaker for solar and energy storage applications a few months ago. Seems like they may work for certain niche markets.

https://new.abb.com/news/detail/1849...en-power-grids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree that solid state switches can't match the low losses of mechanical contacts. I see it's becoming common to see SCRs combined with mechanical contactors inside an ATS to leverage the best advantages that each one has.
    SiC can provide faster switching than SCRs and it has no restriction on when it can turn off (vs. SCRs that stay on till the next zero crossing). So I'm sure there will be new applications where SiC will excel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'll pass.

But as I've said before, this was and is inevitable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by synchro View Post
    Agree that solid state switches can't match the low losses of mechanical contacts. I see it's becoming common to see SCRs combined with mechanical contactors inside an ATS to leverage the best advantages that each one has.
    We see this combination for UPS static bypass switches, but for static transfer switches, it is mostly just the solid state portion.
    Ron

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    190522-1601 EST

synchro:

You can not shunt a solid-state switch with a mechanical contact in a circuit breaker to reduce steady state power loss, and still expect to obtain a faster trip time than the trip time of the mechanical contact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gar View Post
    190522-1601 EST

synchro:

You can not shunt a solid-state switch with a mechanical contact in a circuit breaker to reduce steady state power loss, and still expect to obtain a faster trip time than the trip time of the mechanical contact.
    For some UPS static bypass switches, they use the solid state switch to make the fast transfer, then close the parallel mechanical bypass contactor, then open the solid state switch. The transfer back to UPS double conversion is deliberate, so it will close the solid state switch first and reverse the process.
    Ron

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    190522-1554 EDT

ron:

Parallel contacts are fine for a turn on application, but that is not a circuit breaker application.

Now consider a turn off application. Virtually any loading on a switch has some inductive component. What happens to the voltage across a switch when you open a circuit to a load while current is flowing? So what is the result of instantaneous tripping?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also semiconductors can fail in a short condition. How many times have you replaced a light dimmer that won't dim, just full brightness all the time! That's because the Triac or SCRs have failed shorted.

At a minimum these solid state breakers are still going to have an internal series fuse or I would guess they never get approvals.