Disposal Hard wired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vmadden

My inspector is telling my I have to install a cord and receptacle for the disposal. Is this part od the NEC requirement? I do realize that if I do install a receptacle under the sink it needs to be GFI protected. my main question is, is it required by NEC?

iwire

Staff member
My inspector is telling my I have to install a cord and receptacle for the disposal. Is this part od the NEC requirement? I do realize that if I do install a receptacle under the sink it needs to be GFI protected. my main question is, is it required by NEC?

You need a disconnecting means, a cord and plug is one way to provide it.

The GFCI is not a problem.

luckylerado

The disposal needs a disconnect to be compliant with NEC.
Cord and plug is the most common solution.
Receptacles installed for disposals, dishwashers, and trash
compactors are not required to be protected by GFCIs

iwire

Staff member
why is the wall switch not a disconnect? we use the same switch for a gas furnace workmans switch

Well a wall switch can be but you did not tell us there was one.

Keep in mind decora switches cannot be disconnects because they are not marked with on and off.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Where does it say this in the NEC?

The 2014 states they must be gfci protected. Luckylerado must be on the 2011.

Well his profile says 2014 but it is clear that gfci is required for dishwasher, etc, They removed the words except kitchen in this section.

210.8(A)(7) Sinks — where receptacles are installed within 1.8 m
(6 ft) of the outside edge of the sink

210.8(D) Kitchen Dishwasher Branch Circuit. GFCI protection
shall be provided for outlets that supply dishwashers
installed in dwelling unit locations.

iwire

Staff member
This is correct, but if the disposal is served by the same "outlet" as the dishwasher then it would be required. It's important to point out that "outlet" does not mean "receptacle".

Well actually I could hard wire the GD from the outlet and install a GFCI receptacle in the same outlet just for the DW.

The OP is dealing with a hard wired GD.

luckylerado

The 2014 states they must be gfci protected. Luckylerado must be on the 2011.

Well his profile says 2014 but it is clear that gfci is required for dishwasher, etc, They removed the words except kitchen in this section.

I see it now. I was stuck on the fact that is does not serve counter top surfaces.

Kitchens — where receptacles are installed to serve the
countertop surfaces

Fitzdrew516

Well actually I could hard wire the GD from the outlet and install a GFCI receptacle in the same outlet just for the DW.

The OP is dealing with a hard wired GD.

This is true. What I'm saying is that if he hardwired the GD off of the same outlet of the DW then by the fact that the DW has to be GFCI protected then the GD would automatically be as well. GFCI has to be readily accessible which means it can't be behind the DW.

What I have just learned.... There are way too many ways to wire this set up lol. Why don't they just make all 120V recepts GFCI protected and just be done with it already. I know it's eventually going to be this way so it could save everyone a lot of trouble right about now.

iwire

Staff member
What I have just learned.... There are way too many ways to wire this set up lol. Why don't they just make all 120V recepts GFCI protected and just be done with it already. I know it's eventually going to be this way so it could save everyone a lot of trouble right about now.

I agree.

Vmadden

in this case we installed a separate 120 volt 15 amp circuit for the dishwasher and hard wired it, installed a single pole switch to activate the disposal, and installed an arc fault breaker. The inspector told me I must install a GFI receptacle under the sink and an appliance rated cord to the disposal. I don't believe this is correct.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
in this case we installed a separate 120 volt 15 amp circuit for the dishwasher and hard wired it, installed a single pole switch to activate the disposal, and installed an arc fault breaker. The inspector told me I must install a GFI receptacle under the sink and an appliance rated cord to the disposal. I don't believe this is correct.
If you installed an arc fault breaker and not a dual function AFCI/GFCI breaker then you do not have GFCI protection for the GD. You may need a GFCI protected outlet even if you do not have a receptacle. What code cycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.