User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Wire pulls and turn in EMT

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Davis, CA Yolo County
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Wire pulls and turn in EMT

    I have 5 #8 running in 1" EMT. I have to do a 180. Can I do two 90's with elbows, one after the other?
    Name:  elbow.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  11.5 KB
    Similar question for 3/4". In this case I have 3 #6 and 1 #8. Can I take that around an elbow?


    If the answers are no. Do you have some alternatives?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    6,402
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, why not. Those fittings that you are showing are not really 90s or elbows they are commonly referred to as pulling Ls. Because of that removable cover this is considered a "pull point". As a matter of fact you do not want to try and pull through it. You feed the cable out and then push it through to the next "L".
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Posts
    11,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look in the LB fitting that you want to use. They will have a max size and # of that size marked. The 1 1/2" I am looking at says MAX SIZE CONDUCTOR 3#1/0 AWG.


    IMO:
    I would not use the back to back fittings you pictured. Small stranded wires and short distance only are doable with those. Definitely not Max conduit fill.

    For the # of wires you have, I would be inclined to j-boxes for any length of pull unless the distance between them are relatively short. Could you do it, sure. Worth the effort, probably not.
    Tom
    TBLO

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cherry Valley NY, Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,770
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly lots of variables such as other bends in the pull, distance apart for the 180, aesthetics, etc, but I would be more inclined to use a box or wireway to make the 180.

    Edit: Tom, I guess great minds think alike!
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

    "You can't generalize"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Wilmington, NC USA
    Posts
    738
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too would use a J-box (for the reasons stated).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Davis, CA Yolo County
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reply and another question

    Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    Certainly lots of variables such as other bends in the pull, distance apart for the 180, aesthetics, etc, but I would be more inclined to use a box or wireway to make the 180.

    Edit: Tom, I guess great minds think alike!
    Thank you everyone for the responses. Also, I noticed that the 1" elbows do not have set screws (oversight when purchased). I cannot find anything on line. Are those still acceptable for EGC bonding?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Posts
    11,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ESolar View Post
    Thank you everyone for the responses. Also, I noticed that the 1" elbows do not have set screws (oversight when purchased). I cannot find anything on line. Are those still acceptable for EGC bonding?
    Made up wrench tite, yes.
    Tom
    TBLO

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    6,402
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ESolar View Post
    I have 5 #8 running in 1" EMT. I have to do a 180. Can I do two 90's with elbows, one after the other?
    Name:  elbow.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  11.5 KB
    Similar question for 3/4". In this case I have 3 #6 and 1 #8. Can I take that around an elbow?
    Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    . Small stranded wires and short distance only are doable with those. Definitely not Max conduit fill.

    I have put 3 #6 and 1 #10 in 1" elbow with no problems.

    Naturally they will be stranded but the insulation type makes all the difference. THHN is about the easiest to pull.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    25,534
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An LB would be slightly easier to pull through than a pulling elbow.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    41,359
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growler View Post
    I have put 3 #6 and 1 #10 in 1" elbow with no problems.

    Naturally they will be stranded but the insulation type makes all the difference. THHN is about the easiest to pull.
    In a real LB, that combination goes in 3/4 just fine, but the short fitting like pictured wouldn't take #6 very easily without risk of damaging it trying to get it in there. Even 3/4 and 1/2 inch with 12 and 14's installed doesn't work so well with those short bodies if near max conduit fill.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •