User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Disconnect at meter or outside of house for grounding

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Russellville, Arkansas USA
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Disconnect at meter or outside of house for grounding

    Hi guys, new to the forum as of tonight. So far I like all the conversation. Here's my question

    I am wiring a house and I'm second guessing myself on the ground/neutral bonding, and which panel to do it in.

    I have attached a picture, and off the meter it goes into a panel with 125 AMP disconnect. The feeder wire is 4/0 aluminum. From that, it has feed-thru lugs, which I'll attach 4/0 aluminum underground (NOT SER as pictured) in schedule 40 PVC to a 200 amp disconnect outside off the house. From here I'll use 4/0 SER to a main panel with no disconnect.

    Questions:
    I should swap out 125 amp disconnect at meter to a 200 amp.
    Is that considered my "first point of disconnect" for purposes of tying neutral and ground together and going to two ground rods, or is it the disconnect at the house?
    Main panel inside needs the grounds and neutrals separated? Including all branch circuits EGC and neutrals being landed on separate bars?

    Thanks for the help. I read a bunch of discussions on this, just wasn't sure of a few things.Name:  question on neutral and ground bonding.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  141.6 KB

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    27,492
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The service disconnect is the one at the meter, this is where the main bonding jumper is installed and the GEC lands on the neutral bus. Feeding the house the conductors would be as you've stated a feeder with its own EGC. You need a disconnecting means at the house (which you have) but you also need a grounding electrode system (GES) at the house. The GEC from the GES would connect to the "ground" bus in the panel and the neutral will be floating. I would use a 200 amp service disconnect if you are already planning on using #4/0 conductors.

    Welcome to the Forum.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Russellville, Arkansas USA
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    The service disconnect is the one at the meter, this is where the main bonding jumper is installed and the GEC lands on the neutral bus. Feeding the house the conductors would be as you've stated a feeder with its own EGC. You need a disconnecting means at the house (which you have) but you also need a grounding electrode system (GES) at the house. The GEC from the GES would connect to the "ground" bus in the panel and the neutral will be floating. I would use a 200 amp service disconnect if you are already planning on using #4/0 conductors.

    Welcome to the Forum.
    Thank you for your response. I was thinking the same thing. I've already got the grounding rods and all at the house. I was just verifying whether or not I tie the ground and neutral together there or not. This clears it up. That means that in my main panel, of course my neutral would be floating as well. All my GEC'S would need to be on their own "bar" and the neutrals on their own as well, not together, correct?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    27,492
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by j.cowling View Post
    Thank you for your response. I was thinking the same thing. I've already got the grounding rods and all at the house. I was just verifying whether or not I tie the ground and neutral together there or not. This clears it up. That means that in my main panel, of course my neutral would be floating as well. All my GEC'S would need to be on their own "bar" and the neutrals on their own as well, not together, correct?

    In the remote panel the neutrals and EGC's are on separate buses, the GEC's would land on the EGC bus not the neutral bus.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Russellville, Arkansas USA
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    In the remote panel the neutrals and EGC's are on separate buses, the GEC's would land on the EGC bus not the neutral bus.
    So if I remove thebonding bar here, put grounds on one side and neutrals on the other. Then put wire between grounding bar and the case mounted bar. That will work right? Thank you.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    27,492
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by j.cowling View Post
    So if I remove thebonding bar here, put grounds on one side and neutrals on the other. Then put wire between grounding bar and the case mounted bar. That will work right? Thank you.
    You're asking about a panel that has a "bridge" piece of metal between the two bars? Of so then yes you can remove that and make two separate bus bars, one for the neutral and one for the EGC's. You can also just install the green grounding screw in the EGC bus to bond it to the enclosure.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Russellville, Arkansas USA
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    You're asking about a panel that has a "bridge" piece of metal between the two bars? Of so then yes you can remove that and make two separate bus bars, one for the neutral and one for the EGC's. You can also just install the green grounding screw in the EGC bus to bond it to the enclosure.
    Thank you! This forum has been great so far!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    27,492
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by j.cowling View Post
    Thank you! This forum has been great so far!
    You're welcome and keep the questions coming, there are lots of very talented people here from a wide variety of electrical backgrounds.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •