User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 88

Thread: Best residential load center

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Best residential load center

    Hi all.....I am building a new house, hopefully my last one. I am looking for recommendations on the load center, I was initially intrigued with Leviton’s newest panel but I think I will pass on this unproven equipment.

    So, if you were (or are) wiring your own home, which load center would you install and why? Does one manufacturer have less nuisance AF trips than Others? Right now I am strongly considering Cutler Hammer CH.

    TIA,

    Mark
    Mark

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Livonia, Michigan
    Posts
    486
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Square-D Homeline, hands-down! That is the ONLY panel I ever install when I do service upgrades, and I have done hundreds! I have installed a Siemens before, but only when the customer requested such. I consider Siemens to be second-best. But I don't like G.E. or any other brand of panel available. I consider them to be of poor quality.

    Keep in mind that Michigan doesn't require AFCI breakers at all, and many other states only require them for bedroom circuits. I have worked in such a state, and never had any problem with nuisance tripping on Square-D ones.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    27,391
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For my own home Square D QO.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1, Square D QO.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Fl
    Posts
    17,705
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +2, SQ D QO

    Roger
    Moderator

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    6,402
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MRI View Post
    Right now I am strongly considering Cutler Hammer CH.
    The old Cutler CH panels that were installed 50-60 years ago are holding up well. I have never had to replace one. I don't remember any recalls on any of their breakers.

    If cost is a factor I would go with Square D Home-line because the breakers are much cheaper when buying a lot of them.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cherry Valley NY, Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,773
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Jeff. I like homerline. I like Siemens too. Homeline has the plug on neutral which is nice, but that cancels out with their annoyingly long afci's. IMO QO is overpriced and not worth the money. The breaker guts are the same, other than the red trip indicator.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

    "You can't generalize"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cherry Valley NY, Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,773
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya know, i just complained about QO being too pricey, but if you really want the best, put in a real panelboard. I like Siemens panelboards. I was on the verge of doing that in my house, but went with homeline. Ill def be putting a Siemens panelboard in my shop though.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

    "You can't generalize"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Marlborough, Massachusetts USA
    Posts
    400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was Square D electrician, I started use the Eaton BR series a few years ago. I like the smaller AFCI CB's, they are easy to work with and readily available in 90 perscent of the supply houses in my area. Square D seems to now only be available in the box stores so not much choice.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    US
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +3 SqD QO

    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •