User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Dryer plug, 4 prong.

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Posts
    11,241
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckgassmannm View Post
    Thank you for your response. The Customer wants it done right.

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    it was done right at the time of installation.
    Tom
    TBLO

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    6,388
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckgassmannm View Post
    Customer moved into a house built in 1996. The Dryer receptacle is 3 prong.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckgassmannm View Post
    The Customer wants it done right.
    I just looked up the installation instructions for a new LG dryer and they state that a 4 wire circuit would be required for homes built after 1996.

    If the customer wants to pay for the added safety that's great but I don't think it would be required .

    It normally comes down to how much of the house will have to be torn apart to install a new circuit.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    41,314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growler View Post
    I just looked up the installation instructions for a new LG dryer and they state that a 4 wire circuit would be required for homes built after 1996.

    If the customer wants to pay for the added safety that's great but I don't think it would be required .

    It normally comes down to how much of the house will have to be torn apart to install a new circuit.
    That instruction is assuming 1996 code was in effect in 1996. Some places it wasn't. Others maybe wasn't early in the year but was late in the year.

    Some places can be nearly 10 years behind on which code is in effect.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    6,388
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff48356 View Post
    And if it was built in 1996, I'm surprised it doesn't already have 4-wire, since the requirement for 4-wire ranges and dryers went into effect in 1994.
    Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    it was done right at the time of installation.

    I think Jeff got his dates wrong. It's hard to keep all those dates straight.

    I don't have a 93 code book but every reference I can find points to 1996 (after) as being the first years a 4 wire circuit was required. Here the 1996 code wouldn't have been adopted or enforced until 1 January of 1997.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    6,388
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growler View Post
    who knows what code was adopted at the time the home was built? Have to check with the AHJ to find out what code cycle was enforced at the time.

    If the dryer cable was legal at the time of install then a 3 prong dryer plug can be installed on the dryer.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    That instruction is assuming 1996 code was in effect in 1996. Some places it wasn't. Others maybe wasn't early in the year but was late in the year.

    Some places can be nearly 10 years behind on which code is in effect.

    Thanks I never would have thought of that.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    25,430
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The appliance bonding jumper can be confusing. We just converted a 4-wire-equipped dryer to 3-wire to suit the existing receptacle in an older home just purchased.

    The dryer had an unconnected white wire in the compartment, so I landed it on the cabinet. Had it been green, I would have landed it on the neutral terminal instead.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    41,314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    The appliance bonding jumper can be confusing. We just converted a 4-wire-equipped dryer to 3-wire to suit the existing receptacle in an older home just purchased.

    The dryer had an unconnected white wire in the compartment, so I landed it on the cabinet. Had it been green, I would have landed it on the neutral terminal instead.
    Older units always had a metal strap for a bonding jumper and was obvious, ranges typically still use a strap.

    If not so clear I always check for continuity from frame to neutral terminal to be sure.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    el paso tx el paso
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok. 250.140 exception looks like the best option. Thanks again.

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    25,430
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, with rare exception, the correct procedure is to install the cord that matches the existing circuit and receptacle.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    41,314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    Yes, with rare exception, the correct procedure is to install the cord that matches the existing circuit and receptacle.
    What I would do, even if the house were built in 2010 and had three wire receptacle, unless there were gross negligence in wiring installation that says more troubles than just 3 vs 4 wire receptacle are present.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •