User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: non dwelling range GFCI

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wireday View Post
    Thank you Dennis, this is a single phase 220V does the LOTO still apply?
    '

methinks 110.25 applies regardless of voltage....~S~

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it comes with a flex, do I have to hard wire? If its hard wired I need a disconnect? This customer has documented LOTO does that help?
    If it comes with a flexible hardwire whip you usually cannot cord and plug connect it by removing the whip. Factory whips usually have high temperature conductors so a cord cannot be used instead.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he wants it to be cord connected couldn't he just box the whip and add a cord. (I know it would be a bit combersom though)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsy View Post
    2-pole GFCI cost vs cost of 422.31 disconnect means for hardwired appliances should also be considered.
    Quote Originally Posted by romex jockey View Post
    So a kitchen subpanel w/in sight of, but not in the kitchen serves well

~S~
    Does not need to be within sight. Must have a locking device on the breaker that complies with 110.25 (must remain in place whether locked or not is the main thing that applies here)

Some wording changes in some of the subparts from 2014 to 2017, so read carefully. I think most instances what requires a lock or disconnect within sight will not really change though, just has been reworded a bit.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if it’s three wire cord I can just plug the new range in, if it’s a flex is that the same, grandfathered? Just wire it up?the building circuit is three wire,I just want to put the new range in place.nothing with the building wiring.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if it’s three wire cord I can just plug the new range in, if it’s a flex is that the same, grandfathered? Just wire it up?the building circuit is three wire,I just want to put the new range in place.nothing with the building wiring.

If you buy a new range and you have an old 3 wire receptacle then just get a 3 wire cord and plug it in. Make sure you make the correct connections in back of the stove
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The range will come with a flex,no cord, can I just wire it up, making sure to bond the frame?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The range will come with a flex,no cord, can I just wire it up, making sure to bond the frame?
    Yes.

When there is a GFCI requirement, unless there would be product instructions, only applies to any receptacle outlet.

If you are removing a receptacle and hardwiring it, some AHJ may determine you are modifying premises wiring and require separate EGC, which could easily be a metal raceway if that is what you have, and what I would do even if no AHJ requirement to do so.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now the range is a 3 wire with a flex, no receptacle, no disconnect no gfci. It is a 1990 building, the new range would be the same, drop in range with flex, no receptacle. would this be the same as just swapping out old range with new? or do we need to change to a 4 wire with a wall disconnect.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now the range is a 3 wire with a flex, no receptacle, no disconnect no gfci. It is a 1990 building, the new range would be the same, drop in range with flex, no receptacle. would this be the same as just swapping out old range with new? or do we need to change to a 4 wire with a wall disconnect.

I gave my opinion, tit for tat should be compliant. No need to change the wire to 4 conductors.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky