User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Tile man forgot the thermostat wire in heated floor

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    United States, Indiana
    Posts
    466
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Tile man forgot the thermostat wire in heated floor

    I told the customer that the tile man will have to carefully remove one tile to install the thermostat wire he forgot. I don't think the heated floor will work without it, right ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    34,722
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you could install a line voltage stat but that will take the temp of the room so it would be have to set at 90 degrees or so.. Not a real working situation. You could also put it on a timer and just heat it for a short period but you would have to do that long before you walk in there.

    IMO, pull up the tile right next to the wall where the T-stat is mounted.

    If there is a crawl space you may be able to fish the sensor down the wall and drill up into the tile area from below.... If you heat the heat cable you are screwed.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    United States, Indiana
    Posts
    466
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    Well you could install a line voltage stat but that will take the temp of the room so it would be have to set at 90 degrees or so.. Not a real working situation. You could also put it on a timer and just heat it for a short period but you would have to do that long before you walk in there.

    IMO, pull up the tile right next to the wall where the T-stat is mounted.

    If there is a crawl space you may be able to fish the sensor down the wall and drill up into the tile area from below.... If you heat the heat cable you are screwed.
    I will look at the programable thermostat. Maybe it has a time option. But I'm guessing it won't work using that thermostat because it has connections for the two heat sensor wires, and is dependent on those. ? It's on a slab floor. I bet I will just have to install a digital timer like you suggest. I wonder if timers are ok for that load. I haven't yet looked closely on the tag of the heat cable for amps. It is 120 volts. Thank you. Last year, on another job, I noticed the exact same thing, different tile person, etc. Luckily they had just laid the tiles a couple of hours earlier, and they were able to remove one tile fairly easily, and I installed the sensor.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tennessee NEC:2017
    Posts
    5,260
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the future you may want to try what I do. I run conduit or "Smurf" tube inside the wall. I notch out the bottom plate to accommodate the end of the conduit and where the wire will go in. Then I run a string in there to pull the T-stat wire in. Explain all this to the tile guy. Kind of hard to forget with a string laying where the tile are going.
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Iowegia
    Posts
    18,513
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep.......... the tile's gotta come up.

    No wall-sensing stat is going to work. Floor heat that's designed to take the chill off the tile just doesn't have the horsepower to generate enough heat to turn a wall stat off.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    United States, Indiana
    Posts
    466
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
    In the future you may want to try what I do. I run conduit or "Smurf" tube inside the wall. I notch out the bottom plate to accommodate the end of the conduit and where the wire will go in. Then I run a string in there to pull the T-stat wire in. Explain all this to the tile guy. Kind of hard to forget with a string laying where the tile are going.
    Yes, I do that too. The notching plate too. But I wasnt there when he was, and so he just tied his heat cable only to my pull wire. I found the sensor cable still in its box on the vanity.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    9,067
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've heard of stories of people getting burned on floor tile because of no stat wires.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    25,392
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
    Yep.......... the tile's gotta come up.
    Agree 100%.

    His error, his repair.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    25,392
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrooke View Post
    I've heard of stories of people getting burned on floor tile because of no stat wires.
    You mean injured, and not ripped off, right?
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    9,067
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    You mean injured, and not ripped off, right?
    Injured, yes. Floor gets to hot without the stat wire.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •