User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wiring pole barn for client in MI

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
    Let's raise the ugly UFER head again ... new pole barn, maybe concrete floor on grade with steel, if so that must be the GEC connection.
    Floor, or only footings?
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two questions:
    Is the barn used for housing livestock ?
    Are you actually wiring the barn in MI (Mineral-Insulated Cable) or did you mean MC ??
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by augie47 View Post
    Two questions: Is the barn used for housing livestock ?
    Are you actually wiring the barn in MI (Mineral-Insulated Cable) or did you mean MC ??
    The State of MI, Michigan

MTW Ω

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by augie47 View Post
    Two questions:
    Is the barn used for housing livestock ?
    MI as in Michigan and Michigan does not enforce NEC Art. 547 at all.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
    Let's raise the ugly UFER head again ... new pole barn, maybe concrete floor on grade with steel, if so that must be the GEC connection.
    Only if the slab is also the footing or structural, and there is no vapor retarder under it (which there should be).
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    250.32(A)

Exception: A grounding electrode shall not be required where only a single branch circuit, including a multiwire branch circuit, supplies the building or structure and the branch circuit includes an equipment grounding conductor for grounding the normally non–current-carrying metal parts of equipment.

The way I've always understood this is that it is not required if you're supplying a separate building with a multi wire branch circuit because this typically would be less than 50 A so a number 4 wire may be a little excessive and you're sending a ground from the house. I would discuss this with the AHJ. I wish the NEC would simply state if you're supplying a building or shed of less than 50 Amps no electrode is required as none of us would put any electrode in the tool shed just because it has a lightbulb.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Strombea View Post
    250.32(A)
    Exception: A grounding electrode shall not be required where only a single branch circuit, including a multiwire branch circuit, supplies the building or structure and the branch circuit includes an equipment grounding conductor for grounding the normally non–current-carrying metal parts of equipment.
    See post #8, the OP states he it is a feeder.

Roger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Strombea View Post
    250.32(A)

The way I've always understood this is that it is not required if you're supplying a separate building with a multi wire branch circuit because this typically would be less than 50 A so a number 4 wire may be a little excessive and you're sending a ground from the house. I would discuss this with the AHJ. I wish the NEC would simply state if you're supplying a building or shed of less than 50 Amps no electrode is required as none of us would put any electrode in the tool shed just because it has a lightbulb.
    This applies to more than just a house and a shed. It applies to any stand alone structure. Some common ones where you might not add an electrode being light poles, signs, gates, fuel dispenser, the vacuum station at car wash facility, drive up kiosks, a receptacle for an RV to plug into...
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.