emergency electric closet

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Maybe explain what it is you are calling an "emergency electric closet" and we may be able to better answer the question.

If what you have is a room that only contains emergency equipment items it may be good design practice to keep normal power items out of that space but isn't necessarily a NEC violation either.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Maybe explain what it is you are calling an "emergency electric closet" and we may be able to better answer the question.

If what you have is a room that only contains emergency equipment items it may be good design practice to keep normal power items out of that space but isn't necessarily a NEC violation either.
Not in the same raceway though.

iwire

Staff member
The OP is in MA, in MA the rules require two hour fire seperation of emergency transfer and distribution equipment.

I don't have the MA amendments handy so I can't post them or even look at them right now.

I pretty sure the answer to the OPs question is no, you can't run normal power inside the emergency elecrical space.

Yes I agree it's not the best practice and I know you can't run in the same pipe or j-box however As is the case most of the time I have little to no room I my electric room and the emergency closet containing a high and low voltage emergency panels is a room inside the normal electric room so running normal power conduits through the room may be my only option. I could not find a code violation and just wanted to know if anyone has done this before. Thanks

mgookin

The OP is in MA, in MA the rules require two hour fire seperation of emergency transfer and distribution equipment.

I don't have the MA amendments handy so I can't post them or even look at them right now.

I pretty sure the answer to the OPs question is no, you can't run normal power inside the emergency elecrical space.

Yes I agree it's not the best practice and I know you can't run in the same pipe or j-box however As is the case most of the time I have little to no room I my electric room and the emergency closet containing a high and low voltage emergency panels is a room inside the normal electric room so running normal power conduits through the room may be my only option. I could not find a code violation and just wanted to know if anyone has done this before. Thanks

From a fire protection standpoint, I'm thinking maybe you can put two hour fire resistance between the two. Effectively you'd be making a chase through the area which contains the emergency equipment.
Do you have a fire protection engineer on the project?

Status
Not open for further replies.