User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Out of Town/Out of State Contractors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GC may pick someone they are familiar with even if slightly higher bid, I'd probably do that as well if in their shoes.

Other guy may have cheap labor or even cheap subcontractors they use for at least portions of the project, or maybe have better pricing from suppliers because of higher volume of purchases and that can help keep their bid lower.

Not all bids are strictly chosen on cost either. Proven performance ability can be worth any extra cost in some cases.

You need to sell your company and not just be the low bidder. If you only get jobs because you are low bidder, you probably not making a lot, and are almost always working crappy jobs.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    GC may pick someone they are familiar with even if slightly higher bid, I'd probably do that as well if in their shoes.....
    That is what I have seen with hotels and big retailers, the same crews follow the GC.

When we did out of town work on cell sites it was because the contractor was looking for a specific skill set. The work was not hard. The skill set needed was to be very detailed and neat with your work, but more important than that it was being able to cope with the logistics and cumbersome bureaucracy of the cell companies. It was like dealing with the Federal Government.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See it all the time and can't figure it out. I get the keeping a crew together, but I had a local guy call me for an inspection one time and I told him that it was interesting that we had never met before, he told me that it was his first job in town, he said that he had been mostly working in Riverside. I said seriously? The guys doing the job across the street are from Riverside, you guys probably pass each other on the way to work.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    That is what I have seen with hotels and big retailers, the same crews follow the GC.

When we did out of town work on cell sites it was because the contractor was looking for a specific skill set. The work was not hard. The skill set needed was to be very detailed and neat with your work, but more important than that it was being able to cope with the logistics and cumbersome bureaucracy of the cell companies. It was like dealing with the Federal Government.
    And if you have already done many of the same (or very close to same) hotel, big retailer, fast food, etc. you already know how to trim some costs, may have somewhat of a working relationship with other subs and maybe even have worked out deals with plumber, HVAC, etc. where you work together somehow on certain aspects.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post

The big box stores run crews around the country, the only time they'll solicit locally is if they need licensure/permits/inspections

That's the extend of them even wanting local yokels around

~RJ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an EC friend of mine in the 90's that did Wal Marts all over Texas and other states.
    He knew the exact cost, down to every nut/bolt/screw, for every floorplan that WalMart built.
    I was estimating at another EC, so I've done those takeoffs on Wal Marts, and they are very complicated with controls, refrigeration wiring, prefered vendors, etc.
    I bid a couple and got whipped by my friend, but he would make a very good profit on his jobs.
    If I remember, there were GC's that specialized in Wal Marts too, and the GC's still had to get competitive bids from locals.
    My friend would win every time....I'm pretty sure that if the competition was low or high, my friend probably got last look. The GC's already had my friend's number plugged in anyway.
    These jobs, as with all retail, are fast track. The GC's didn't have that to worry about with an EC like my friend....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdslotz View Post
    I had an EC friend of mine in the 90's that did Wal Marts all over Texas and other states.
    He knew the exact cost, down to every nut/bolt/screw, for every floorplan that WalMart built.
    I was estimating at another EC, so I've done those takeoffs on Wal Marts, and they are very complicated with controls, refrigeration wiring, prefered vendors, etc.
    I bid a couple and got whipped by my friend, but he would make a very good profit on his jobs.
    If I remember, there were GC's that specialized in Wal Marts too, and the GC's still had to get competitive bids from locals.
    My friend would win every time....I'm pretty sure that if the competition was low or high, my friend probably got last look. The GC's already had my friend's number plugged in anyway.
    These jobs, as with all retail, are fast track. The GC's didn't have that to worry about with an EC like my friend....
    Pretty much the same here, the was a small handful of EC's that did all the big box retail in New England back when it was sprouting up in the late 90's, early 00's. Like your friend, they knew their costs and had it down to a science. There was no way anyone could touch them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Around here it would be because the guys doing the work can't afford the rent in the places the work is. But that doesn't explain, say, Simi Valley to Riverside. Seems like people would rather jump in the truck all day than try to build connections where they live. I blame the internet and the lack of a carbon tax.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No speaker engrish!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sameguy View Post
    No speaker engrish!
    You riar!