User Tag List

Thread: Fire alarm vfd shutdown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fire alarm vfd shutdown

I’m using a addressable fire alarm relay to shut down a vfd. Is the best way to achieve this by running the enable circuit thru the dry contacts on the relay?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There may be better ways, but that is what I use when I want it to stop via a master control relay.
    Tom
    TBLO

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s probably the best way because by using the enable circuit, you override any ramp down or braking settings and immediately kill power to the motor, which is what you often want in an emergency, especially on a pump or fan.

If the machine is of a type that can benefit from braking being done via the VFD however, like a conveyor or a centrifuge, keep that in mind because that may dictate using a regular Stop command.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jraef View Post
    That’s probably the best way because by using the enable circuit, you override any ramp down or braking settings and immediately kill power to the motor, which is what you often want in an emergency, especially on a pump or fan.

If the machine is of a type that can benefit from braking being done via the VFD however, like a conveyor or a centrifuge, keep that in mind because that may dictate using a regular Stop command.
    If killing the power to a machine or device rather than using a shutdown procedure would cause a greater risk to the public, then you are allowed to send the signal to a controller. Think elevator recall. The same would go for an escalator or moving walkway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys