Bathroom exhaust duct installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hi All,
Does anyone familiar with or know the Massachusetts code rule in regards to an electrician/ plumber filing a permit for or even in stalling a ventilation duct for bathroom exhaust fan?
My question. Is a tin knocker the only trades person allowed to install exhaust ducts legally in Massachusetts?
I have been getting conflicting answers from AHJ in different building departments.
Thank you.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Conflicting information is conflicting. Par for the course in MA.

But ever since they started talking about a mechanical permit I stopped doing them altogether. And I'm happy about that. As for the permit, it's usually the carpenters on my jobs that install the vent. I'm not sure if they do it and the plumbers have it inspected or what. For the most part it's been a non-issue on my end.

Knuckle Dragger

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

I am not looking for an excuse to install the duct I want a good excuse not to. Some towns say flat out I can't while others say there is an exception to the rule . I work with a GC who has been insisting that I be the one who should install the ventilation duct when there is no HVAC mechanic on the job.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I work with a GC who has been insisting that I be the one who should install the ventilation duct when there is no HVAC mechanic on the job.

Who supplies and installs the fan? If you do I can understand how you would be expected to complete the installation. Simple way around this is to say you no longer supply fans but you will be happy to wire one once it's in place.

-Hal

peter d

This is one example of a ridiculous rule. Now, I get that an hvac guy is less apt to a do a hack job on the vent work since he probably has all the tools and material to do the job properly. Most electricians I know or have seen throw a few wraps of cheap duct tape on and call it good. That being said, there's no reason why an electrician should be disallowed from doing this work. We certainly have the mechanical ability to do it.

That being said, I have noticed that the HVAC guys generally install and vent bath fans now where that was not the case in the past. We don't have any laws in that regard but that's the trend.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
This is one example of a ridiculous rule. Now, I get that an hvac guy is less apt to a do a hack job on the vent work since he probably has all the tools and material to do the job properly. Most electricians I know or have seen throw a few wraps of cheap duct tape on and call it good. That being said, there's no reason why an electrician should be disallowed from doing this work. We certainly have the mechanical ability to do it.

That being said, I have noticed that the HVAC guys generally install and vent bath fans now where that was not the case in the past. We don't have any laws in that regard but that's the trend.

In new construction where the work is done with the walls and ceiling open the interaction between electrician and HVAC guy is much simpler can can vary over a wider range of work assignment than for remodel work to add a fan, where the pulling of the wiring and the physical installation of the fan need to be more closely coordinated.

iwire

Staff member
Who supplies and installs the fan? If you do I can understand how you would be expected to complete the installation. Simple way around this is to say you no longer supply fans but you will be happy to wire one once it's in place.

-Hal

Typically the fans are supplied and installed by the electrician as part of the lighting package but the ducting done by the tin knocker.

big john

Any fool can string flexi-duct, just like any fool can wire a receptacle.

Unless you know the HVAC local codes for installing bath vents, I would not assume you knew how to do it correctly: This is speaking as someone who caused the HVAC guy to fail his inspection because we ran the exaust vents for our fans.

iwire

Staff member
My understanding is here where we have plenty of cold weather people would run uninsulated exhaust flex or duct through unheated attics.

This causes the the humid air from the shower to condense in the duct and lead to water damage to the insulation and ceiling below.

Knuckle Dragger

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I was wondering if anyone new the code article that states that you need a mechanical license to file a permit and install ventilation duct for bathroom exhaust fan.
I can't seem to get a straight forward answer from
any AHJ
Thanks for your help!

north star

% ~ % ~ %

Knuckle Dragger,

IMO, ...I would get the straight scoop directly from the AHJ
you are working in........If you are working in different locations,
then you should [ IMO ], get the information from that AHJ.

Yes, it may different in each location, but at least then ...you
will know the requirements.

% ~ % ~ %

iwire

Staff member
% ~ % ~ %

Knuckle Dragger,

IMO, ...I would get the straight scoop directly from the AHJ
you are working in........If you are working in different locations,
then you should [ IMO ], get the information from that AHJ.

Yes, it may different in each location, but at least then ...you
will know the requirements.

% ~ % ~ %

That is the annoying thing about it, we have one set of codes in MA but some cities and towns do not follow along as they should.

growler

That is the annoying thing about it, we have one set of codes in MA but some cities and towns do not follow along as they should.

That sounds about the same as here. Rules for local jurisdictions can change when you cross the road to a different jurisdiction.

north star

+ $ = $ +

" That is the annoying thing about it, we have one set of codes in MA but some cities and towns do not follow along as they should. "

True, ..true, ...true !.........Unfortunately, to coverest thy arse, each Contractor should [ IMO ]
diligently try to comply with the rules.........When the finger-pointing & accusations start, ...let
it not be you or me that is not in compliance........My reputation means a lot more to me, than
choosing to NOT comply with the requirements within each AHJ. :happyyes:

+ $ = $ =

JFletcher

If there is existing, usable ductwork, Ill connect the fan to it, with the proper reducer hub* if necessary, using metal flashing tape (ie real duct tape). I dont do ductwork or vents.

*almost an oxymoron, I inform the HO if the duct is undersized, so that they may make the call to have the duct replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.