User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Motor housing HOT, with no load on pump???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Motor housing HOT, with no load on pump???

Need advice on motor temperatures/problems. Commissioning a machine and I noticed the motor is getting hot! It is on a water pump for recirculating water thru a heat exchanger. So no real load to speak of on it.

Been running the motor for about 45 minutes – 1 hour and the motor is getting pretty hot, hotter than the pump in fact. I checked all the obvious things like wiring, amp draw etc. and everything is fine. It’s pulling about 5 – 5.5 amps with an FLA of 6.5 amps and SFA of 7.46. The fluid temp is only about 90 degrees and there’s been no load to speak of on the motor.

You can see from the pictures below that the rear of the motor is significantly hotter than the front of the motor, which seems to point to a bad bearing. There are no greese fittings either.

Any ideas???

Name:  D322010E-A968-478E-8B7A-7ED0AAD9B358.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  13.1 KB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emiller233 View Post
    Need advice on motor temperatures/problems. Commissioning a machine and I noticed the motor is getting hot! It is on a water pump for recirculating water thru a heat exchanger. So no real load to speak of on it.

Been running the motor for about 45 minutes – 1 hour and the motor is getting pretty hot, hotter than the pump in fact. I checked all the obvious things like wiring, amp draw etc. and everything is fine. It’s pulling about 5 – 5.5 amps with an FLA of 6.5 amps and SFA of 7.46. The fluid temp is only about 90 degrees and there’s been no load to speak of on the motor.

You can see from the pictures below that the rear of the motor is significantly hotter than the front of the motor, which seems to point to a bad bearing. There are no greese fittings either.

Any ideas???

How hot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emiller233 View Post

Any ideas???

If I am reading that right 117F is the highest temp in the image. That is not really all that hot for this kind of situatioun. Low enough temp you can touch it without getting burned, though it may eventually burn you if you leave your hand there for too long.

Might be that back bearing is going out and is making that end hotter. Might be the pumped media is cooler so it is taking some heat with it and making that end a little cooler.

Is it running across line or on a VFD? internal cooling fans run slower when motor runs slower and pull less cooling air over the motor.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn’t seem all that hot to me and that looks like the motor windings creating all the heat to me. Not a rear bearing. My SEWAG.
    Tom
    TBLO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    Doesn’t seem all that hot to me and that looks like the motor windings creating all the heat to me. Not a rear bearing. My SEWAG.
    SEWAG?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Besoeker3 View Post
    SEWAG?
    My SEWAG to that SEWAG is Semi-Educated Wild-A$$ Guess.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've used these many times, just dont remember one being quite this hot before... yes 117 was the top. It did get a few degrees warmer. I think it topped out at 126.

It's just recirculating water for a heat exchanger. I think the water was about 80 degrees. It's cool in here today.

It's just across the line, I think it was a 1800RPM (I left already).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SEWAG haha. I might have to steal that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    My SEWAG to that SEWAG is Semi-Educated Wild-A$$ Guess.
    Thank you, LF.
    My ignorant Brit brain is constantly being upgraded here.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "pretty hot" measure by palm is not scientific approach. motor can easily reach 210F, it's normal working temperature of many types of motors. https://www.plantengineering.com/art...ow-hot-is-hot/

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk