User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Access to can light junction box from below

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Box only has opening on one side

The junction box of the fixture I posted is not accessible from below. There is a cover on only one side. There is no access through the fixture since the hole is too small for a hand and if you can get your hand in there the junction box is not accessible.

Every recessed light fixture, bathroom exhaust fan, heater etc. that I have installed permits access to the splice box from below.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg1707 View Post
    The junction box of the fixture I posted is not accessible from below. There is a cover on only one side. There is no access through the fixture since the hole is too small for a hand and if you can get your hand in there the junction box is not accessible.

Every recessed light fixture, bathroom exhaust fan, heater etc. that I have installed permits access to the splice box from below.
    Well I guess you have to install a code compliant light fixture that will work with the customers specs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You answered your own question then, like knuckle dragger said, it looks like you need to be using a different, compliant fixture.

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle Dragger View Post
    Well I guess you have to install a code compliant light fixture that will work with the customers specs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a listing on that fixture?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UL Listed

Quote Originally Posted by oldsparky52 View Post
    Is there a listing on that fixture?
    Yes, it has a UL listing. I am just surprised to a see a fixture that is not compliant is available in the "legitimate" electrical market place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it has a UL listing. I am just surprised to a see a fixture that is not compliant is available in the "legitimate" electrical market place.
    Wouldn't the "listing" indicate that somehow it is compliant?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsparky52 View Post
    Wouldn't the "listing" indicate that somehow it is compliant?
    The fixture can be installed, and deemed "accessible", where there is an attic that allows access to the housing junction box from above . . .
    Another Al in Minnesota

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by al hildenbrand View Post
    The fixture can be installed, and deemed "accessible", where there is an attic that allows access to the housing junction box from above . . .
    It that fixture was listed the way you mention, then I would hope the manufacturer would indicate it is not suitable to install where not accessible from above. ... Maybe not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at the cut sheet, it seems the manufacturer is claiming it is accessible from below. Your picture looks like the BLED2ICN model.

Based on what I'm reading here though, I would not want to be the one to try to get to the JB after installation.

http://www.trace-lite.com/resources/...pecs/bled2.pdf

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do they make laparoscopic electrical tools? I couldn't get two fingers through that hole.

-Hal