User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Access to can light junction box from below

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    463
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Access to can light junction box from below

    I installed some of these new recessed lights. They have a 2.5" opening. It appears there is no way to access the junction box once the drywall has been installed. Is anyone familiar with this product?
    Am I missing something?

    http://www.trace-lite.com/resources/01_tracelite_literature/01_web-specs/bled2.pdf[/URL]

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Can1.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	23079Click image for larger version. 

Name:	can2.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	23080Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Can1.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	23079Click image for larger version. 

Name:	can2.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	23080

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    25,725
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like the J-box can be accessed through the ceiling hole if you remove the reflector. Whether you can fit your hand through that hole is another matter.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hawthorne, New York NEC: 2014
    Posts
    4,822
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    • Housing on IC (insulated ceiling) model can be removed from frame to provide access to junction box
    See, no problem.

    -Hal

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    7,165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given that your luminaire is LED, there will be a driver that may well need servicing at some point. Removing and re-applying the line side wirenuts is what my local AHJ wants demonstrated. In your case, the only hardware that will allow this is in the remodel configuration.

    I have roughed in loose tails and after the rock is taped I've cut in the remodel units.
    Another Al in Minnesota

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Marlborough, Massachusetts USA
    Posts
    403
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Ok Larry Fine said.
    Just remove the white portion of the housing stick your tiny hands in there remove the access cover to the j-box portion of he housing and pull the splices through the housing opening.
    I try to make my pig tails as long as possible for this situation.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,572
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by al hildenbrand View Post
    Given that your luminaire is LED, there will be a driver that may well need servicing at some point. Removing and re-applying the line side wirenuts is what my local AHJ wants demonstrated. In your case, the only hardware that will allow this is in the remodel configuration.

    I have roughed in loose tails and after the rock is taped I've cut in the remodel units.
    Looking at the OP's lights the housing just has a 120 volt connector to connect to the trim. The driver is part of the trim. Access is still required to the junction box but in reality should never need access once installed.
    Curt Swartz
    Electrical Contractor

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    7,165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curt swartz View Post
    Looking at the OP's lights the housing just has a 120 volt connector to connect to the trim. The driver is part of the trim. Access is still required to the junction box but in reality should never need access once installed.
    My AHJ doesn't have an allowance for "in reality should. . . ", only that a 110.14 electrical connection can be made, in the future, on the branch circuit conductors in the luminaire junction box.
    Another Al in Minnesota

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,572
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by al hildenbrand View Post
    My AHJ doesn't have an allowance for "in reality should. . . ", only that a 110.14 electrical connection can be made, in the future, on the branch circuit conductors in the luminaire junction box.
    I never said the junction box didn't need to be accessible. It is accessible by removing the inner housing. It's just not going to be much fun. If there was a driver attached to the box I worry more about better access since it will need to be replaced at some point and I may be the one stuck doing it.
    Curt Swartz
    Electrical Contractor

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tampa, FL, USA
    Posts
    2,483
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All new construction recessed fixtures have a junction box that is inside the ceiling. If there is no attic, that junction box is not accessible without removing drywall. I never thought about it before but that is a code violation. Still, I have installed many and never had an inspector complain.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    25,725
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    All new construction recessed fixtures have a junction box that is inside the ceiling. If there is no attic, that junction box is not accessible without removing drywall.
    Every one I remember installing can be accessed if you remove the can from the frame, which can be done from inside the room.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •