User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Beat the elephant in the room (again!) about AFCI breakers...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NoDak
    Posts
    460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Beat the elephant in the room (again!) about AFCI breakers...

    This is more of a rant versus request for suggestions,

    I did a basement finish out. I roughed it out last fall and put in some SP switches and some pigtail screw shells for the HO to have lighting for Sheetrock (they did it themselves). I had LED bulbs in the screw shells.

    Everything worked fine all winter with no tripping issues on the lighting circuit.

    I trimmed it out a couple days ago, using the LED 6" fixtures that resemble a can light 16 total. 2 bedrooms (4 each) and family room (8).

    I had 2 dimmers in for the family room.

    Now they're having arc fault tripping issues.

    As an experiment I took out the dimmers and put the SP switches back in. Didn't help.

    Last night he texted me to say that it tripped again, along with a circuit that feeds main level living room. That circuit has never tripped before! He had a hard time getting that circuit to reset. That breaker isn't located near my AFCI breaker in the panel.

    I'll look at it today, but so much for making a profit on that project!
    Frustrating!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NoDak
    Posts
    460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Siemens breaker.
    I have the worst luck with them (AFCI)!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,572
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sw_ross View Post
    Siemens breaker.
    I have the worst luck with them (AFCI)!
    Siemens have trip indicators. Is it showing GF or AF?
    Curt Swartz
    Electrical Contractor

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    6,480
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sw_ross View Post

    Everything worked fine all winter with no tripping issues on the lighting circuit.

    I trimmed it out a couple days ago, using the LED 6" fixtures that resemble a can light 16 total. 2 bedrooms (4 each) and family room (8).
    Are there any other loads on this lighting circuit ?

    Also the Siemens has a self test function to see if the breaker is functioning properly. The breaker may be bad.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Posts
    11,417
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curt swartz View Post
    ….. have trip indicators. Is it showing GF or AF?

    The two questions that should be asked or answered at the beginning of each AFCI thread
    Tom
    TBLO

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NoDak
    Posts
    460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It shows AF on each of the trips.

    The liv room circuit that trips is the older style that only has an indicator for AF.
    The newt breakers I installed have AF and GF indicators.

    The house isn’t that old (2014). The living room breaker that is now tripping is attributed to something I did... Even though I never touched the circuit!

    I could change out the old breaker but the HO won’t pay for it since “I caused it”!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Posts
    11,417
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sw_ross View Post
    It shows AF on each of the trips.

    The liv room circuit that trips is the older style that only has an indicator for AF.
    The newt breakers I installed have AF and GF indicators.

    The house isn’t that old (2014). The living room breaker that is now tripping is attributed to something I did... Even though I never touched the circuit!

    I could change out the old breaker but the HO won’t pay for it since “I caused it”!
    Of course! You're guilty!
    Tom
    TBLO

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    6,480
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sw_ross View Post
    The house isn’t that old (2014). The living room breaker that is now tripping is attributed to something I did... Even though I never touched the circuit!

    I could change out the old breaker but the HO won’t pay for it since “I caused it”!
    Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    Of course! You're guilty!
    I had a service call a couple of years ago where an AFCI breaker was tripping and the home owner assumed it was the security company installers that had done something while installing the security system.

    After checking things out I found that it was a new cable box that was causing the breaker to trip. I also figured out that it only tripped an older version breaker and so a new AFCI solved the problem.

    My point here is that you may have to solve the problem to prove that it's not your fault and when you do then it's OK to charge them.

    Change out the breaker and see if the problem goes away and if it does then bill for a service call. AFCI breakers go bad all the time so it's not uncommon.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Posts
    11,417
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growler View Post
    I had a service call a couple of years ago where an AFCI breaker was tripping and the home owner assumed it was the security company installers that had done something while installing the security system.

    After checking things out I found that it was a new cable box that was causing the breaker to trip. I also figured out that it only tripped an older version breaker and so a new AFCI solved the problem.

    My point here is that you may have to solve the problem to prove that it's not your fault and when you do then it's OK to charge them.

    Change out the breaker and see if the problem goes away and if it does then bill for a service call. AFCI breakers go bad all the time so it's not uncommon.
    Was the new Cable box required for the security system?
    Tom
    TBLO

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    6,480
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    Was the new Cable box required for the security system?
    Just regular cable TV in a bedroom.

    Just another coincidence of someone being there when something decides to fail and getting blamed for it.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •