Background information, good sources for a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluewall

I'm a junior in high school and will be attending a nearby tech school for the electrical trades program. I thought it would be cool to learn something new and maybe it would turn into a career, who knows. Anyway, I don't have much education on electrical work, and I don't intend on learning everything from the Internet, but I was wondering if you guys that are experienced had any good websites or places for someone trying to learn the basics? I'm trying to get as much info as I can handle before school comes in August. Terms, the basics, formulas, reference material, etc. I'd appreciate the feedback.

mgookin

Welcome to the forum.
Do you have any information on the course? A syllabus maybe?
Is the trade school for wiring buildings, programming PLC's, electrical design, etc.?
How high have you gone in mathematics?

Bluewall

Welcome to the forum.
Do you have any information on the course? A syllabus maybe?
Is the trade school for wiring buildings, programming PLC's, electrical design, etc.?
How high have you gone in mathematics?

No syllabus yet, but it's residential and commercial wiring, if that helps any at all. I'm assuming they'll teach us what we need to know in order to wire basic circuits accordingly. So far I've taken geometry, trigonometry, basic algebra, applied algebra, and college algebra courses at my school.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
The following is only about $10 and has lots of basics.
UGLYS.jpg

And you can pick that up at Big Orange.

Last edited:

JFletcher

You can probably get a copy of the National Electrical Code (NEC) at your local library. If MO is on an older cycle (2011 or before), purchasing a copy shouldnt be too expensive. Check Amazon or ebay.

You might also inquire with local electrical contractors about part-time employment.

Welcome to the forum.

kwired

Electron manager
You are still in junior high school and are able to enroll in a trade school? You usually need to be a high school graduate or obtain a
GED to go to such schools.

Or are you same age as average junior high school kids but somehow are beyond junior high school with your education level?

Or are you just planning your post high school studies a few years earlier then many often do?

If you are still in junior high school I suggest you pay attention in physics, chemistry, and math classes, now and through high school. Even the stuff that may not seem directly electrical related may come back to you when you get to studying deeper into electrical theory, or at very least will come in handy in other areas that are related to this field. You may find yourself a little into mechanical, hydraulics, pneumatic s on top of electrical in some instances in this trade, as well as general construction topics can come up and those can fall back onto some of the same sciences and mathematics abilities needed to understand them as well.

This is all just to make you better at understanding the technical side of things. English, social sciences, physical education, business, arts, are all things that may not seem important now, but someday you will see that at least studying them to the extent typically offered at the high school level is not a bad thing and that you do use some of that knowledge throughout your lifetime regardless of what career path you take.

Otherwise as far as studying the electrical field - start with finding just about any basic electricity concepts instruction book - they are what colleges/trade schools would use as a textbook for Basic electricity 101 type of a class, and read it. You really need to study this kind of material before getting too deep into codes or installation methods.

mgookin

You are still in junior high school and are able to enroll in a trade school? You usually need to be a high school graduate or obtain a
GED to go to such schools.

Or are you same age as average junior high school kids but somehow are beyond junior high school with your education level?

Or are you just planning your post high school studies a few years earlier then many often do?

If you are still in junior high school I suggest you pay attention in physics, chemistry, and math classes, now and through high school. Even the stuff that may not seem directly electrical related may come back to you when you get to studying deeper into electrical theory, or at very least will come in handy in other areas that are related to this field. You may find yourself a little into mechanical, hydraulics, pneumatic s on top of electrical in some instances in this trade, as well as general construction topics can come up and those can fall back onto some of the same sciences and mathematics abilities needed to understand them as well.

This is all just to make you better at understanding the technical side of things. English, social sciences, physical education, business, arts, are all things that may not seem important now, but someday you will see that at least studying them to the extent typically offered at the high school level is not a bad thing and that you do use some of that knowledge throughout your lifetime regardless of what career path you take.

Otherwise as far as studying the electrical field - start with finding just about any basic electricity concepts instruction book - they are what colleges/trade schools would use as a textbook for Basic electricity 101 type of a class, and read it. You really need to study this kind of material before getting too deep into codes or installation methods.

I'm a junior in high school and will be attending a nearby tech school for the electrical trades program. I thought it would be cool to learn something new and maybe it would turn into a career, who knows. Anyway, I don't have much education on electrical work, and I don't intend on learning everything from the Internet, but I was wondering if you guys that are experienced had any good websites or places for someone trying to learn the basics? I'm trying to get as much info as I can handle before school comes in August. Terms, the basics, formulas, reference material, etc. I'd appreciate the feedback.

kwired

Electron manager
Wow, I somehow missed junior in high school and saw in junior high school.:ashamed1:

I still say pay attention to math and physics, chemistry classes in high school as a place to start, and find reading materials on basic electricity concepts to go further into details that high school science classes will likely not cover.

Industrial technology classes in high school also are good classes to participate in. They may not focus on electrical installation but you will still gain some knowledge that you may later find useful.

north star

@ ~ @

Bluewall,

Welcome to this Electrical Forum !

IMO, ...some good books for you to read & hopefully learn something
rom are:
(1) the 2014 Edition, NEC Handbook, and (2-A) Electrical
Fundamentals & Basic Electricity, and
(2-B) Electrical Circuits,
Systems and Protection.
NFPA_Handbook_.jpg

Electrical_Fundamentals_and_Basic_Electricity_DVD_.jpg
Electrical_Circuits_Systems_and_Protection_DVD_.jpg

Try these and see what you think...

@ ~ @

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
No syllabus yet, but it's residential and commercial wiring, if that helps any at all. I'm assuming they'll teach us what we need to know in order to wire basic circuits accordingly. So far I've taken geometry, trigonometry, basic algebra, applied algebra, and college algebra courses at my school.

As one other person mentioned, physics. Music, light (color) and electricity are all the same theory. It fascinated me in High School and I continue to be thrilled by it to this day. I play guitar and enjoy the comparison between it and my trade.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Gee, when I was in high school in my Sophomore and Junior years (50 years ago) I attended a local trade school for 1/2 of each day. They offered trade electrical, two electronics courses, auto mechanics, oil burner servicing, auto body and cosmetology. Believe it or not they are still there even with the current attitude that only losers attend such places. Don't believe it. The real losers are those who go to college, can't find a job and have the equivalent of a mortgage to pay off when they are only 22 years old.

-Hal

Saturn_Europa

Occupation
Electrician Limited License NC
I would take as many courses in automation and controls as possible. I know a guy with a two year tech degree working for a system integrator making darn close to 6 figures.

Im a plant guy in maintenance, so I do both electrical work and a lot of control work. And after crawling around in a hot attic hanging conduit and pulling wire it's nice to sit down in front of a computer and troubleshoot why a chemical pump isn't tracking.

Sparkbender

Don't worry too much about not knowing much now

Don't worry too much about not knowing much now

The only courses open at the time I went back to college was for plumbing and electrical constuction and maintenance. All i knew was that I didn't have the crack to be a plumber and electricity hurt. I opted for becoming an electrician and graduated at the top of my class because I did not want to get fried getting it wrong. The Ugly's book shown has lots of calculations. The handbook is also a very good study guide to supplement your code book but expensive for a high schooler. I might suggest finding a used one if possible to save a few bucks. I bought the handbook and disc during my first year of trade school and it was almost $200. The NEC code book can be confusing but the handbook has many diagrams to explain some of the things so you understand the intent of the different parts of the code. It is a great tool but catch one at a price that is affordable for you. Union shops and some other employers do not allow just anyone to tag along on a job but sometimes offer summer help programs if the work picture is good and everyone is working. You can always inquire with local contractors to see if there is anything that you can learn from them though. You are getting the different math classes you would need. Algebra for calculating neutral current, capacitance, resistance in parallel etc. Trigonometry for power factor correction. Geometry for pipe bending. Computers are being used more and more for automation and understanding how to read the rungs in a plc program is not only needed for getting into programming the PLC to take inputs and produce an output, it is vital to troubleshooting a failure in the process. Start with some of the books especially the handbook if you can get your hands on one and the Ugly's is really cheap but a very big help. It has wire size tables, motor amperage values for sizing wire, and lots of other things. Those two are a great start and of course the help on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.