User Tag List

Thread: Conduit bodies in inverter output circuits

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conduit bodies in inverter output circuits

We work with one AHJ that will not allow a conduit body in any inverter output circuit between the PV AC disconnect and the point of interconnection, and another that will allow them if the inverter is connected through a backfed breaker but not if it is line side connected. We aren't going to fight either one of them over it, but we want to get it right in other jurisdictions where they do not specify. We haven't been able to locate language in the NEC that supports either position, though. What do you guys think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggunn View Post
    We work with one AHJ that will not allow a conduit body in any inverter output circuit between the PV AC disconnect and the point of interconnection, and another that will allow them if the inverter is connected through a backfed breaker but not if it is line side connected. We aren't going to fight either one of them over it, but we want to get it right in other jurisdictions where they do not specify. We haven't been able to locate language in the NEC that supports either position, though. What do you guys think?
    I know of no NEC issue with an LB or similar. I have seen a number of POCOs that prohibit conduit bodies in service raceways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PCOC

Quote Originally Posted by texie View Post
    I know of no NEC issue with an LB or similar. I have seen a number of POCOs that prohibit conduit bodies in service raceways.
    I agree, this is a POCO issue. Most POCO do not allow unsealed or accessible wireways on the utility-side of the service disconnect. If the PV AC is fed by a panel breaker, then the POCO has no say. If the PV AC is fed by a supply-side tap, then the supply side comes under their jurisdiction.
    e^(i pi) = -1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can open a conduit body, you can directly access the conductors. Hypothetically, you could tap them and consume unmetered energy. It's a financial rule.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like another case of overreach. I think if it's not line side of their meter they have no good reason for it. Certainly it's not in the NEC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drcampbell View Post
    If you can open a conduit body, you can directly access the conductors. Hypothetically, you could tap them and consume unmetered energy. It's a financial rule.

Sounds dangerous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
    Sounds dangerous.
    It is, but then again people punch holes in pressurized gasoline pipelines in Mexico to get free gas. There is no limit to how stupid humans can get when they think they can get some free stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
    Sounds dangerous.
    Indeed. But it's equally dangerous downstream of the meter, where it's allowable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drcampbell View Post
    Indeed. But it's equally dangerous downstream of the meter, where it's allowable.
    Not necessarily.

On feeders and branch circuits, and anything else behind the main service disconnect, you have control over shutting off the circuit, and would likely do so as standard procedure. On service conductors, you'd have to get the utility involved in providing you a shutdown, something that a person trying to rig their service would likely not do.
    Last edited by Carultch; Yesterday at 09:24 PM.