User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: sketch code complaint

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry but I'm not sure I understand your drawing correctly. It looks to me that you have a 1600 amp disconnect outside and not on the building to disconnect the PoCo conductors. Then 4 200 amp circuits going into the building (not underground, right?) each one feeding a disconnect, then a meter, then to the tenant panel, right?

Where is the "service point"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsparky52 View Post
    I'm sorry but I'm not sure I understand your drawing correctly. It looks to me that you have a 1600 amp disconnect outside and not on the building to disconnect the PoCo conductors. Then 4 200 amp circuits going into the building (not underground, right?) each one feeding a disconnect, then a meter, then to the tenant panel, right?

Where is the "service point"?
    The 2 400A and 2 200A disconnects circuits are not underground but overhead into building.

Would not the service point be at the line side of 1600A service disconnect?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Np matter what "tap" rule you apply, the disconnects would need to be at the point the conductors enter the building (outside or inside nearest conductor point of entry)
    As Dennis pointed out the AHJ likely would consider the multiple feeders a violation of 225.30. Would not be acceptable;e here.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have "outside feeders" from the location of the 1600 amp disconnect to the inside wall of the building. The NEC requires the individual feeder disconnects to be close to the inside wall. Putting them 90 feet away is a violation. I gave the NEC reference in the second paragraph of post #2.
    Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hhsting View Post

Would not the service point be at the line side of 1600A service disconnect?
    Does the PoCo sign off on this? They usually don't like to see customers have disconnects prior to their meter.

So, what stage is this project in? Design, or it's been bid and trying to get the bid designed, or just kicking the tires? (or hopefully not started but turned down)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the PoCo sign off on this? They usually don't like to see customers have disconnects prior to their meter.

So, what stage is this project in? Design, or it's been bid and trying to get the bid designed, or just kicking the tires? (or hopefully not started but turned down)
    Its on plans shown as existing condition and am i being told by engineer that is how it is. All kinds of weird stuff you get when you are reviewing plans. I dont go to field.

I am confused as you all are and this many violations and stuff about service point how is it an existing condition. Maybe engineer does not know what he is talking about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have multiple tenants so it is multi occupancy building . Going back to Article 225.30 seems to have exceptions. What does Article 225.30(B)(1) mean?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How far away is the project from you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How far away is the project from you?
    Very far like takes 8 hours drive
    Last edited by hhsting; 06-12-19 at 09:37 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hhsting View Post
    I have multiple tenants so it is multi occupancy building . Going back to Article 225.30 seems to have exceptions. What does Article 225.30(B)(1) mean?
    225.30(B)(1) could be an exception to the one issue. It means exactly what it says, I am not sure how to explain it further. If this is existing, then there likely isnt an issue. If you are doing rework to this system, I would get the AHJ's blessing on it first.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"