User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: STRENGTH OF PANEL COVER IN RELATION TO ARC BLAST

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

STRENGTH OF PANEL COVER IN RELATION TO ARC BLAST

What is the strength of Panel board cover, switchboard cover in accordance with Arc Blast? Do you have a table of the Cover Strenght in relation with the thickness of the metal?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the gear in question is not listed as Arc Resistant, it's irrelevant in that the cover is not actually required to remain intact in an arc blast event. There are no standards other than those for Arc Resistant Equipment that address this one way or the other. From an electrical and arc flash safe work practices standpoint in NFPA 70E, you are not actually required to use PPE or other protective measures if the enclosure is closed, even though there is no guarantee that it will not come apart in an arc blast event because the risk of that is considered low.

If the gear is listed as Arc Resistant, the thickness of the metal is whatever it takes to withstand the forces of the available incident energy it is rated for. Manufacturers attain that with a number of strategies involving forming and bracing, not just metal thickness alone. Certification is attained only by destructive witnessed testing at qualified facilities.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure how strong they are, but I will usually shield myself with the panel door when I flip on a breaker.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an interesting thought......i guess i'll be more aware of missing screws now ~RJ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Arch Flash Suit has a rating why will a cover or the thickness of the panel metal sheet have no rating?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the cal/cm2 ratings of the metal cover of a panel or switchgear? Any table from panel builders?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jraef View Post
    If the gear in question is not listed as Arc Resistant, it's irrelevant in that the cover is not actually required to remain intact in an arc blast event. There are no standards other than those for Arc Resistant Equipment that address this one way or the other. From an electrical and arc flash safe work practices standpoint in NFPA 70E, you are not actually required to use PPE or other protective measures if the enclosure is closed, even though there is no guarantee that it will not come apart in an arc blast event because the risk of that is considered low.
    How come that some metal covers are thick and others like panel board are thin? How will a panel builder decide what thickness to use in the cover? How do they decide to determine the strenght of the cover?

Quote Originally Posted by Jraef View Post
    If the gear is listed as Arc Resistant, the thickness of the metal is whatever it takes to withstand the forces of the available incident energy it is rated for. Manufacturers attain that with a number of strategies involving forming and bracing, not just metal thickness alone. Certification is attained only by destructive witnessed testing at qualified facilities.
    What specific UL test standard do they use in the test for panelboards and switchboards?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    I'm sure how strong they are, but I will usually shield myself with the panel door when I flip on a breaker.
    I have seen an ATS that had an Arc Blast and left a whole in front of the cover.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby ocampo View Post
    I have seen an ATS that had an Arc Blast and left a hole in front of the cover.
    hole

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby ocampo View Post
    If Arch Flash Suit has a rating why will a cover or the thickness of the panel metal sheet have no rating?
    Different issues. An Arc Flash Suit protects you from being burned. What I mean by "no rating" is that if there is an arc BLAST inside of the equipment, a cover blowing open can become shrapnel and kill you, suit or no suit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=9lbiYAMsOEY
    Action happens at around 1:50
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...