120 volt only smoke and CO alarms

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
They have those new battery operated units that last ten years. Since you should replace your smokes more often than that why don't they make hardwired smokes with the ten year battery backup?

user 100

..........why don't they make hardwired smokes with the ten year battery backup?

They do- hardwired w/ lithium ion backup and to top that off, even lets you know when detector is reaching eol.

Being dead is so much easier.

Only is the power goes out :D

Actually when the power goes out it's more likely for there to be a fire/co poisoning b/c of stuff people do to compensate- lighting candles and lamps, run generator thats faulty/ has poor ventilation etc.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
This is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard and one of the dumbest threads ever.

You have no right to tell me how to live my life :p:p

It reeks of DIY and should be closed, and you should be banned. :thumbsup:

A once in a blue moon DIY thread that might also be encountered on a job does no harm. :thumbsup:

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
They do- hardwired w/ lithium ion backup and to top that off, even lets you know when detector is reaching eol.

I might go that route then.

[/QUOActually when the power goes out it's more likely for there to be a fire/co poisoning b/c of stuff people do to compensate- lighting candles and lamps, run generator thats faulty/ has poor ventilation etc.TE]

Point taken.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I was inquiring about the same items at the supply two weeks ago.
The customer wanted to install them in his "storage shed" it has 18 foot foot ceilings and he did not want to deal with the battery replacement as well
I had no luck finding them so we did the traditional route

Some people need to lighten up.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Huh? :blink: Sorry :ashamed1:

If you have 120VAC smoke/CO alarms with battery backup and the batteries die, assuming you aren't at end-of-life for the detector, it will still function on POCO line power. At least that's how I interpret it. :)

user 100

Wont the beeping stop after a while and the alarm still function when the batteries are dead?

FWIU, the hardwired kidde combo unit w/the eol signal and 10 yr backup will start chirping at regular intervals and a light will blink for a week or two, to let you know the unit needs to be replaced at the 10 yr mark. There is also a similiar beeping noise scheme for the same product to alert you if the unit is malfunctioning and is running on ac only/ or has a low battery before the 10 yrs is up.

These units are pricey and regular testing is needed/recommended (you push a button and listen) , but folks tend to bite when they find out they don't have to mess with batteries 2x every year- yes people are lazy.:D

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you have 120VAC smoke/CO alarms with battery backup and the batteries die, assuming you aren't at end-of-life for the detector, it will still function on POCO line power. At least that's how I interpret it. :)

Correct but will the warning beep stop

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Hate changing the battery every year :ashamed:

At least you aren't completely removing the detectors. It still amazes me how many people have no functioning smoke detectors in their house.

I got three years out of my last set of 9 volt batteries. I replaced them all only to find out it was the CO monitor that was beeping. Hard telling how much longer they may have lasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.