User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best way to run lighting on a wooden deck?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    Since you are building it yourself you have the advantage of getting creative with the carpentry and construction to conceal the wiring. Don't wait until after it's finished and then try to figure out how to run wiring.

For instance, you may be able to route out a channel in a post or framing member to conceal UF then cover it with thinner material. Low voltage lighting is your friend also.

-Hal
    +1

And with LED lighting, the voltage drop is much easier to deal with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would post the pics but this site wont let me even though they are jpg files

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Current View Post
    I would post the pics but this site wont let me even though they are jpg files
    There is a file size limit for uploaded images. Reduce the size or resolution or find a photo hosting site that allows public viewing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the code for running open romex on trusses under a porch like you would in a garage basement, the inspector is saying it needs to be in conduit but the porch is on the second story of the house so underneath the porch is tall

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's outside it should be UF not Romex. Have you got that right?? As long as it is UF I wouldn't think it would be subject to damage where it is so I don't see the need for conduit. If it really is Romex it can't be there at all.

This is a home inspector so tell him to p*** off!

-Hal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    Since you are building it yourself you have the advantage of getting creative with the carpentry and construction to conceal the wiring. Don't wait until after it's finished and then try to figure out how to run wiring.

For instance, you may be able to route out a channel in a post or framing member to conceal UF then cover it with thinner material. Low voltage lighting is your friend also.

-Hal
    Thanks Hal. I was thinking the same thing.

I do have to plan extra carefully as the material I'm planning to use is Cumaru. It's a tropical hardwood very similar to Ipe, but about 40%
    cheaper. It's a super hardwood that requires pre-drilling. Don't want to make any mistakes!!!

I'm not planning any post lights, just some lights under the handrail to keep it simple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Pools View Post
    I'm in the beginning phase of build a new deck off my house and was wondering the same thing.

Is there an outdoor rated wire mold/raceway? Is that acceptable?
    I was thinking of doing low voltage lighting but the curved pergola I have planned was to include an outdoor rated ceiling fan with line voltage.
    If it is only being used as a sleeve for physical protection it doesn't need any kind of rating, just needs to have suitable strength for the application, which is a judgement call and may not get same call from one AHJ to another.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    If it is only being used as a sleeve for physical protection it doesn't need any kind of rating, just needs to have suitable strength for the application, which is a judgement call and may not get same call from one AHJ to another.
    Physical protection partly, but mostly to hide the wiring. Trying to keep everything neat and clean.

Appreciate the response.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Current View Post
    What is the code for running open romex on trusses under a porch like you would in a garage basement, the inspector is saying it needs to be in conduit but the porch is on the second story of the house so underneath the porch is tall
    Would mounting the UF on a running board satisfy The Inspector?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Pools View Post
    Physical protection partly, but mostly to hide the wiring. Trying to keep everything neat and clean.

Appreciate the response.
    either way you are not using whatever it is as a raceway, you can run a cable wiring method in about anything and it doesn't need to be listed. If it is exposed you can always say it is providing additional physical protection, even if it isn't the toughest material out there, it is one more layer of something to have to go through before you damage the cable inside.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.