Cord & Plug connected fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrobe

Based on NEC 410.62(C) it appears that to use a cord when installing a lighting fixture you MUST also use a plug. Cannot terminate the cord into a Jbox or enclosure directly. Am I interpreting this correctly? If this is the case what are the safety reasons for this?

Thanks

Electrobe

After more searching and reading I think I answered my own questions. NEC 410.62(C)(2)c requires this cord to have a plug. Also based on NEC 400.8 Uses Not Permitted - a cord is not to be used "as a replacement for permanent wiring". Hardwiring the cord to a box should be considered permanent wiring and should be done by an approved wiring method such as using type MC or others, there is no reason to use a cord.

Here are some possible safety reasons ...
-The cord and plug connection provided a disconnect means and allows for the entire fixture to be removed and repaired in a better controlled environment. The cord and plug can be inspected when the fixture is being repaired. If there was no plug the cord may never get inspected and there is a higher chance of working on the fixture energized.
-An approved wiring method such as type MC provides better conductor protection and can be secured to the structure unlike flexible cord.

Anyone agree or disagree?

Thanks

kwired

Electron manager
After more searching and reading I think I answered my own questions. NEC 410.62(C)(2)c requires this cord to have a plug. Also based on NEC 400.8 Uses Not Permitted - a cord is not to be used "as a replacement for permanent wiring". Hardwiring the cord to a box should be considered permanent wiring and should be done by an approved wiring method such as using type MC or others, there is no reason to use a cord.

Here are some possible safety reasons ...
-The cord and plug connection provided a disconnect means and allows for the entire fixture to be removed and repaired in a better controlled environment. The cord and plug can be inspected when the fixture is being repaired. If there was no plug the cord may never get inspected and there is a higher chance of working on the fixture energized.
-An approved wiring method such as type MC provides better conductor protection and can be secured to the structure unlike flexible cord.

Anyone agree or disagree?

Thanks
I agree with your mentioned reasons, but still have no idea why they allow flexible cord for "fixed luminaires" when cord is not generally allowed to be part of the permanent premises wiring. If part of listing of the luminaire I can accept that, which would mean the luminaire should come with a cord already attached or specify a particular optional cord set, but I could never otherwise figure out why it is allowed - even with the plug and receptacle.

Frequently interchanged? Maybe - but it is the cord and plug that makes them easy to do so. Many of those luminaires may be replaced with or without the cord and plug in a large facility and repairs are maybe done in the shop and the repaired luminaires end up replacing future failed luminaires. But is that the intent of "frequent interchanged" conditions that allow use of cord and plug connected equipment?

Electrobe

I agree with your mentioned reasons, but still have no idea why they allow flexible cord for "fixed luminaires" when cord is not generally allowed to be part of the permanent premises wiring. If part of listing of the luminaire I can accept that, which would mean the luminaire should come with a cord already attached or specify a particular optional cord set, but I could never otherwise figure out why it is allowed - even with the plug and receptacle.

Frequently interchanged? Maybe - but it is the cord and plug that makes them easy to do so. Many of those luminaires may be replaced with or without the cord and plug in a large facility and repairs are maybe done in the shop and the repaired luminaires end up replacing future failed luminaires. But is that the intent of "frequent interchanged" conditions that allow use of cord and plug connected equipment?

I agree. I have seen many hazards related to the improper use of flexible cords. They should only be used when no other wiring method will work, which is rarely.

iwire

Staff member
The term "electric discharge" also includes fluorescents and neon, but not induction, incandescent or LED.

Officially perhaps, in the real world no. :D

Are you seeing many plugs on cable hung, cord supplied office fixtures like say these?

Modern-Linear-LED-Suspended-Ceiling-alcon-led-office-lighting.jpg

Or in stores

GE-Retail-Lighting-Walgreens-3-465x300_tcm386-23218.jpg

It is just not applied that way.

kwired

Electron manager
2104 NEC, 410.62(C) "Electric-Discharge and LED luminaires" So this includes LED, HID, fluorescent, & neon

410.62(C) specifically includes LED at least in 2014, have no idea what it may say in 2104;)

Otherwise LED is not an electric discharge light source. Electric discharge involves an arc through a gas. Incandescent uses a glowing filament, LED is a semiconductor that produces light.

iwire

Staff member
Interesting, I can't wait to tell our customers all those cord connected linear lights must have a ceiling mounted receptacle and plug on the cord. This is going to have to be a pin and sleeve type in many applications with multiple circuits and neutrals :D

kwired

Electron manager
Interesting, I can't wait to tell our customers all those cord connected linear lights must have a ceiling mounted receptacle and plug on the cord. This is going to have to be a pin and sleeve type in many applications with multiple circuits and neutrals :D
Haven't really dealt with many of the lights like in your first picture, but aren't you typically using cord and fittings that are part of the listing and accessories of the luminaire/system?

Is cord even permitted in your second picture? (aren't those "lay in" fixtures). If they were suspended in the open I could see them possibly permitted to be supplied with cord, but each luminaire would need a cord not one for the entire row (I think, didn't look it up so correct that if wrong)

iwire

Staff member
Haven't really dealt with many of the lights like in your first picture, but aren't you typically using cord and fittings that are part of the listing and accessories of the luminaire/system?

Sometimes, often not.

As far as the second picture I thought those where cable hung but you may well be right.

Electrobe

Here is an example of some of the installations I have seen problems with. I think this installation is a violation since the cords are strapped and the receptacles are not mounted above the fixtures. I also have seen similar installations where they did not use the plugs.
Light connections.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
Here is an example of some of the installations I have seen problems with. I think this installation is a violation since the cords are strapped and the receptacles are not mounted above the fixtures. I also have seen similar installations where they did not use the plugs.
View attachment 15142
Some may say that is not above the fixture, I think it is close enough to be acceptable - but it is all in how you interpret it I guess.

I don't approve the strapping of the cord, and am pretty certain it must end in a plug/receptacle and not be hard wired into the junction box.

Other funny thing about it that is off topic some is they used vaportight luminaires, watertight cord connectors, but then supply it with AC/MC cable and dry location outlet box.

Electrobe

Some may say that is not above the fixture, I think it is close enough to be acceptable - but it is all in how you interpret it I guess.

I don't approve the strapping of the cord, and am pretty certain it must end in a plug/receptacle and not be hard wired into the junction box.

Other funny thing about it that is off topic some is they used vaportight luminaires, watertight cord connectors, but then supply it with AC/MC cable and dry location outlet box.

I agree with your review. This was a dry location but they liked to use the standard vapor tight fixtures everywhere. Thanks for your feedback!!

Status
Not open for further replies.