User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Best way to run lighting on a wooden deck?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    417
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Best way to run lighting on a wooden deck?

    Ive got a friend that is selling his house and the inspector said the lights he put on his deck need to be in conduit, what hes done is jumped of a light that was on the side of his house and rand what looks like thick underground type romex under his deck and then come up the sides of the posts and up into the center of two lights around his deck. I told him that sealtight would be the easiest way does anybody else have any ideas. The look some thing like this.


    Name:  Aurora-Titan-Deck-Lights-At-The-Deck-Store-Online.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  32.2 KB

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hawthorne, New York NEC: 2014
    Posts
    4,822
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Sealtite is going to look real good on a deck post. And I don't know how you would transition out into the bottom of the Sealtite and out again into the fixture. What box would you use? Best thing he could do is just remove the lights and throw them away as long as he is going to sell the house. The wiring for those lights is supposed to go down through the post and out under the deck. If he has wood 4x4s get your auger bit and extension out and aim real good!

    Those look to be LV lights. Makes it easier.

    What inspector?

    -Hal

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Wilmington, NC USA
    Posts
    793
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this is a physical damage concern, could you take a 2x4 and route a grove for the wire and then cover it? It would possibly look better than sealtight or conduit.

    Oh yea, I would fasten it with screws and not nails.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Wilmington, NC USA
    Posts
    793
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    Best thing he could do is just remove the lights and throw them away as long as he is going to sell the house.
    I believe Hal as an excellent perspective on this.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    27,504
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this a home inspector that said it requires conduit?
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    6,460
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Current View Post
    Ive got a friend that is selling his house and the inspector said the lights he put on his deck need to be in conduit, what hes done is jumped of a light that was on the side of his house and rand what looks like thick underground type romex under his deck and then come up the sides of the posts and up into the center of two lights around his deck. I told him that sealtight would be the easiest way does anybody else have any ideas. They look some thing like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    Best thing he could do is just remove the lights and throw them away as long as he is going to sell the house.
    I have just removed a lot of old exterior light fixtures for home inspection reports and it does seem to work.

    If the owner wishes to keep the lights then seal tight will work, it doesn't need to be the best looking thing in the world just another gig that can be written off.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    6,460
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Current View Post
    Ive got a friend that is selling his house and the inspector said the lights he put on his deck need to be in conduit.
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Is this a home inspector that said it requires conduit?
    The picture shown is ‚Äčnot of the actual lights installed.

    Homeowners often don't do a very professional looking job of it when they install fixtures and the home inspectors notice it right off.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    417
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    Yeah, Sealtite is going to look real good on a deck post. And I don't know how you would transition out into the bottom of the Sealtite and out again into the fixture. What box would you use? Best thing he could do is just remove the lights and throw them away as long as he is going to sell the house. The wiring for those lights is supposed to go down through the post and out under the deck. If he has wood 4x4s get your auger bit and extension out and aim real good!

    Those look to be LV lights. Makes it easier.

    What inspector?

    -Hal

    Home inspector, I told him it wouldn't look good

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Park Ridge, NJ
    Posts
    161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the beginning phase of build a new deck off my house and was wondering the same thing.

    Is there an outdoor rated wire mold/raceway? Is that acceptable?
    I was thinking of doing low voltage lighting but the curved pergola I have planned was to include an outdoor rated ceiling fan with line voltage.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hawthorne, New York NEC: 2014
    Posts
    4,822
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you are building it yourself you have the advantage of getting creative with the carpentry and construction to conceal the wiring. Don't wait until after it's finished and then try to figure out how to run wiring.

    For instance, you may be able to route out a channel in a post or framing member to conceal UF then cover it with thinner material. Low voltage lighting is your friend also.

    -Hal

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •