User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Assited living facility

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to be considered a residence wouldn't it need to have a means to cook?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has the ability to have a means to cook. Two 20A circuits to a countertop where a microwave or oven could be placed.

-Hal

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    It has the ability to have a means to cook. Two 20A circuits to a countertop where a microwave or oven could be placed.

-Hal
    But that would not be a permanently installed cooking means.
    You could also put in one or more induction hobs.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we have to look at this as a hotel room.

210.60 Guest Rooms, Guest Suites, Dormitories, and Similar Occupancies(A) General. Guest rooms or guest suites in hotels, motels, sleeping rooms in dormitories, and similar occupancies shall have receptacle outlets installed in accordance with 210.52(A) and (D). Guest rooms or guest suites provided with permanent provisions for cooking shall have receptacle outlets installed in accordance with all of the applicable rules in 210.52.
    No, a microwave on the counter does not count as permanently installed. So I'm going to say it's probably OK except for the AFCIs.

-Hal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    I think we have to look at this as a hotel room.

210.60 Guest Rooms, Guest Suites, Dormitories, and Similar Occupancies(A) General. Guest rooms or guest suites in hotels, motels, sleeping rooms in dormitories, and similar occupancies shall have receptacle outlets installed in accordance with 210.52(A) and (D). Guest rooms or guest suites provided with permanent provisions for cooking shall have receptacle outlets installed in accordance with all of the applicable rules in 210.52.
    No, a microwave on the counter does not count as permanently installed. So I'm going to say it's probably OK except for the AFCIs.

-Hal
    Correct. All depends on if it has all the elements in the definition of a dwelling unit. You can have a guest room/suite/dormitory that is both a guest room/suite/dormitory and also fits definition of dwelling unit.

In OP's case permanent provisions for cooking is what is going to be determining factor as to whether we have a dwelling unit, it has all other dwelling unit items per NEC definition.

This will impact whether you must install 210.52 required outlets or not, AFCI requirements, the 20 amp circuit for the bath, enables you to use 310.15(B)(7) for a feeder to that unit if it is a dwelling, all kitchen counter receptacles must be GFCI protected if it is a dwelling, maybe not if not a dwelling, though the small space in this case puts them all within 6 feet of the sink and they need GFCI anyway.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.