Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Give me some slack?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    The blame on this install is two fold.

One on the electrician for putting the riser in a place not in line with the service pole without the corner getting in the way, and two,on the power company for coming around the corner, hooking it up anyway, and, not leaving any slack for a drip loop.

JAP>
    Look at how short the service drop cable is beyond the point of attachment. Chances are this was existing drop and a service upgrade situation and reason the drop cable is so short. Had the drop cable been longer there likely would have been more "drip loop" sag left there after connection.

Some POCO may have spliced onto the drop cable anyway to make it longer.

I don't see the corner being in the way. If it is, the drop cable would be rubbing the corner, which will create other problems down the road.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My POCO's (I have several in my service area) require I leave 36" out of the weatherhead. Most of the time they do not bother to cut it back to a length that would look nice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    My POCO's (I have several in my service area) require I leave 36" out of the weatherhead. Most of the time they do not bother to cut it back to a length that would look nice.
    Can come in handy for future re-connections.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Look at how short the service drop cable is beyond the point of attachment. Chances are this was existing drop and a service upgrade situation and reason the drop cable is so short. Had the drop cable been longer there likely would have been more "drip loop" sag left there after connection.

Some POCO may have spliced onto the drop cable anyway to make it longer.

I don't see the corner being in the way. If it is, the drop cable would be rubbing the corner, which will create other problems down the road.
    Looks to me like it is rubbing the corner.

You can even tell by the wedge clamp on the Telephone Cable (that's more than likely coming from the same pole) that that's the case.

JAP>

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    Looks to me like it is rubbing the corner.

You can even tell by the wedge clamp on the Telephone Cable (that's more than likely coming from the same pole) that that's the case.

JAP>
    It appears to me that even if the insulated wires are not rubbing at least one of the insulated connectors is.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    It appears to me that even if the insulated wires are not rubbing at least one of the insulated connectors is.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Yes, on vinyl siding. Fire coverage at 10 PM.
    Tom
    TBLO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who knows... from what we can see of this snapshot , this may be a perfectly legit install with slack and a drip loop, only to find out that there's a 60' oak tree laying across the overhead, just outside of picture.

JAP>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may or may not have the service drop rubbing the corner of the building. Certainly could have placed the POA around the corner and still have meter/riser conduit where it is, maybe they wanted to do that but things wouldn't quite reach that way, so they did this instead

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    I hope they have an expansion joint in there somewhere because that top strap won’t hold long at -20 F
    we have to abide by the poco but I like 36 inches and let the lineman do what they want, the pvc in the pic is pretty far away from the drop - someone mentioned strain on the drop - its held by itself attached to the drop - nec says 24 inches from the head and below is where it should be 12 inches the 24 rule is an exception where no other means is available
    Try to learn something new everyday - "me"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbelectric777 View Post
    we have to abide by the poco but I like 36 inches and let the lineman do what they want, the pvc in the pic is pretty far away from the drop - someone mentioned strain on the drop - its held by itself attached to the drop - nec says 24 inches from the head and below is where it should be 12 inches the 24 rule is an exception where no other means is available
    Code section that says this?

Local rules or POCO rules maybe.