meter distance from window

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
About 30 years ago we had an inspector that turned me down for that. I asked him to go back to the office and talk to his boss. I got a call later saying everything was okay

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
about 15 years ago, I had laid out on a house where the meter (for underground service) was to go, close a window. I didn't end up getting the job, and the electrician told the general contractor that I had it planned in a space not allowed because it was within 3 feet from a window. The contractor called me to tell me my error. :(

mgookin

about 15 years ago, I had laid out on a house where the meter (for underground service) was to go, close a window. I didn't end up getting the job, and the electrician told the general contractor that I had it planned in a space not allowed because it was within 3 feet from a window. The contractor called me to tell me my error. :(

And he hired the guy who didn't know what he was talking about?

user 100

And he hired the guy who didn't know what he was talking about?

Other guy was likely more convincing with his angle about it not being legal and/or the gc just liked him better. One good avenue to check is the poco- they may have their own rules, as well as the ahj- but if they flag someone they need to be able to show said ordinance/rule in writing. There are lots of generalizations that occur w/ code articles like this- to many 3 ft means everything electrical, b/c they didn't actually read the rule, they only assume.

kwired

Electron manager
Local POCO may have such a rule, but I seriously doubt it.
That is where you may find such rules - POCO's or local AHJ's - NEC alone has no such rules. Open conductors at the transition to the service drop however have limitations to distances from openings in buildings.

Status
Not open for further replies.